We’re lucky to live in such a beautiful city like Sydney, but despite all the amazing attractions, it’s easy to forget some of the fun things to do with kids! So whether you’re looking for new ideas of things to do during the week with your toddler, things to do this weekend or ways to keep them entertained during the school holidays, we have heaps of inspiration. Start working your way through our ultimate bucket list of things to do with kids in Sydney!
Things to do with kids: Sydney City
Want to head over the bridge for a day in the city? Sydney is full of fun attractions that are ideal for children of all ages.
- Embrace history with a trip to a museum – try the Powerhouse Museum, Maritime Museum or Australian Museum.
- Buy a Merlin Annual Pass and get unlimited yearly access to some of Sydney’s best attractions, like SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium, Wild Life Sydney Zoo, Madame Tussauds and Sydney Tower Eye.
- Hang out at Darling Harbour – explore the Chinese Garden of Friendship, play at the Water Park, dine at the new Darling Square or watch a show at Lendlease Darling Quarter Theatre.
- Wander around the spectacular Royal Botanic Gardens. Dine at one of the cafes or pack a picnic!
- Spend some time around Circular Quay. Go see a kids show at Sydney Opera House and have lunch at Opera Bar. Or maybe hop on a ferry and cruise to Watsons Bay, Cockatoo Island or Manly.
- A BridgeClimb is a truly memorable thing to do, and is a great birthday gift for your child. The best thing is, you can go with them! Keep an eye on the BridgeClimb website, as they often have special promotions running for families throughout the year.
Things to do with kids: North Shore
If you’re after some great things to do around Sydney’s North Shore, then this list is for you. From a full day out at the zoo to a swim at the gorgeous aquatic centre, there’s something for all ages and seasons of the year!
- Enjoy thrilling rides at Luna Park (Milsons Point).
- Wander around the spectacular Taronga Zoo and get friendly with the animals (Mosman).
- Explore Wendy’s Secret Garden (Lavender Bay, 5 mins walk from Milsons Point).
- Check out one of the many parks & playgrounds we have in the area and tick off a few!
- Spend the day outdoors in a beautiful national park like Wildflower Gardens in St Ives, Bobbin Head or Lane Cove National Park – go bushwalking, paddle boating, playground and a snack at the cafe!
- Visit the inner harbour Balmoral Beach – visit the playground, ride your bike along the beachfront and enjoy fish and chips.
- Go swimming at an Aquatic Centre.
Things to do with kids: Northern Beaches
If you’re looking for kids activities on the Northern beaches, then you’re spoilt for choice. There’s so much to do on the Northern Beaches for kids, and best of all, most of it’s free – so you can keep costs down.
- Go to the beach! All the beaches on the Northern Beaches are fantastic, but we especially love:
- Manly: has everything you need for a fun day out!
- The Northbridge Baths: this popular spot has a nice sandy beach within the bushland of Middle Harbour.
- Balmoral Beach: this is an amazing child-friendly beach with a playground, lots of cafes and a long promenade for riding.
- Clontarf Reserve: there is a lovely netted, calm swimming area for kids, huge playgrounds, plenty of grass, a cafe, toilets and more.
- Dee Why: there’s something for kids of all ages at Dee Why Beach, with two ocean pools (one for toddlers, the other a 50m lap pool), patrolled beach, two playgrounds and lots of cafes!
- Picnic at Manly Dam, Little Manly or Clareville Beach. Pack your swimmers!
- Spend the day at Winnererremy Bay Park in Mona Vale – lunch at Flying Fox Cafe, ride bikes, enjoy the amazing playground and splash in the bay (pack swimmers & scooters!).
- Ride your bikes around Narrabeen Lake. This is one of the best toddler activities on the Northern Beaches and gets rid of plenty of energy too!
Things to do with kids further afield
There are lots of fabulous attractions and things to do with kids, that are just a short drive from Sydney’s north shore. Some of our favourite things to do…
- Visit the new Sydney Zoo in Western Sydney
- Visit a wildlife park to see some native Australian animals.
- Visit a farm. Find out the closest farm animals to the North Shore here.
- Have some splash-tactic fun at a Water Playground.
- Take a drive to the countryside and go fruit picking! Apples, oranges, mandarins, strawberries, whatever you like!
- Go horse riding! Whether that’s a pony ride or something more adventurous, it will be a day that you’ll always remember.
Want more ideas for things to do with kids?
- 12 things to do on a scorching hot day in Sydney with kids
- Best indoor play centres in the North Shore, Hills and Northern Beaches
- Explore Sydney by train, bus, ferry or light rail on Sundays for $2.80
- Best rainy day activities for kids in Sydney
- Child-friendly bushwalks in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park