Are you interested in boosting your credibility in your industry? Want to write about relevant topics to educate North Shore Mums, and position yourself as a person of authority? Becoming a Contributor for North Shore Mums is an excellent way to do just that!
Writing to build your professional profile & promote your business
Writing online articles is an effective way of building a profile as an expert in your particular field, getting free exposure for your business and strengthening your SEO performance.
Who can become a professional contributor?
- You must be a mum living on Sydney’s North Shore.
- If writing for professional reasons, you must have an active Annual Featured Gold listing in our Directory, or have done some other form of advertising with us in the last 12 months. Click here to list your business or explore other advertising options.
Benefits of becoming a contributor with North Shore Mums
- The article will remain on the website indefinitely and will be optimised for search engines.
- After publication, the article will be promoted on the weekly newsletter and a Facebook post.
- The article will go into our ‘social media library’ to be promoted and shared for years to come.
- You get a Writer Profile at the bottom of all the articles you write – which include a headshot, bio and links to your website and social media pages.
What should the article be about?
Before you start writing, you’ll need to first pitch the idea to our Editor, so we can check it’s the right fit and we haven’t published something similar recently.
We know through experience that mums do not want to read an article that is worded like a press release for the business. Articles should be about a topic or issue that relates to your business, that is interesting and relevant to North Shore Mums. For example:
- A Paediatric Dietitian could write an article on 6 Tips for keeping our kids healthy during the festive season!
- A Swim School Director could write an article on Six tips to keep your kids safe around pools
- A Childcare Director could write an article on Top tips: How to choose the right childcare centre
- A Personal Fashion Stylist could write an article on Decluttering your clothes: Choosing what to chuck!
- A Buyers Agent could write an article on North Shore house prices: Overpaying vs. missing out!
To comply with SEO best practice, all text (even sections of text!) must be original and exclusive to North Shore Mums. Once written, the articles become the property of North Shore Mums and cannot be published elsewhere on personal blogs or websites. Of course, you are welcome to share the article on your social media channels.
Tips for writing a great article
- Length: 800-1000 words
- Style: conversational, simple language, active voice, easy to read
- Format: Rather than long sections of text, the article should be broken up into sections for easy reading. Think along the lines of paragraphs that have sub-headings, bullet points, and so on.
- All articles will be edited by North Shore Mums prior to publication.
- Images are just as important as the words! A great feature image will entice the reader in and encourages them to click.
- All articles have a ‘feature image’ – this is the image that sits at the top of your story and also is the thumbnail on the homepage and in categories. This should be a photographic image that is landscape in orientation.
- We can also include other images in the article (either embedded within the text or as a separate gallery), so feel free to supply more images if you have them.
- In order to comply with copyright laws, we CANNOT accept images that you have found on Google images, Instagram or someone else’s website. Please note that for ALL images, you will need to be either take the photographs yourself, purchase them for use on the North Shore Mums website, or have permission to use them on the North Shore Mums website. Let us know if you don’t have anything suitable, and we can source something from our image library.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
If you’re keen to join our team of contributors, please complete the application form below: