We’re blessed to live in such a beautiful city like Sydney, but despite all the options, it’s easy to forget all the amazing places to visit and things for kids to do! So whether you’re looking for new ideas of things to do during the week, at the weekend or during the school holidays, we have heaps of inspiration. Have fun!
- Embrace history with a trip to a museum – try the Powerhouse, Maritime or Australian Museum.
- Buy a Merlin Annual Pass and get unlimited yearly access to Sydney Aquarium, Wild Life Sydney Zoo, Madame Tussauds and The Sydney Tower Eye.
- Spend a few hours at Darling Harbour – explore the Chinese Garden of Friendship, play at the Water Park or watch a show at Lendlease Darling Quarter Theatre or a film at IMAX (the biggest in the world!).
- Royal Botanic Gardens – have a picnic in the gardens
- Get the ferry! Head to Circular Quay, and head off to Watsons Bay, Cockatoo Island or Manly.
- Ride over the Sydney Harbour Bridge on scooters.
- Go see a kids show at Sydney Opera House and have lunch at Opera Bar.
- Enjoy thrilling rides at Luna Park (Milsons Point).
- Wander around the spectacular Taronga Zoo and get friendly with the animals (Mosman).
- Explore Wendy’s Secret Garden (Lavender Bay, 5 mins walk from Milsons Point).
- Spend the day in a beautiful national park like Bobbin Head or Lane Cove National Park – go bushwalking, paddle boating, playground and a snack at the cafe!
- Visit the inner harbour Balmoral Beach – visit the playground, ride your bike along the beachfront and enjoy fish and chips.
- Go swimming at an Aquatic Centre.
- Ride your bikes around Narrabeen Lake.
- Hang out in Manly. Lots to do!
- Picnic at Manly Dam, Little Manly or Clareville Beach. Pack your swimmers!
- Spend the day at Winnererremy Bay Park in Mona Vale – lunch at Flying Fox Cafe, ride bikes, enjoy the amazing playground and splash in the bay (pack swimmers!).
- Go to the beach! Here’s our list of the best nearby kid-friendly beaches.
- Visit a wildlife park to see some native Australian animals. Click here to find the closest wildlife parks.
- Visit a farm. Find out the closest farm animals to the North Shore here.
- Have some splash-tactic fun at a Water Playground.
Day trips with kids around Sydney
- Drive to Katoomba and do the cable car, forest walk and Three Sisters.
- Head up to the Central Coast and spend the day at Umina Beach – there’s an incredible playground for lots of age groups, a skate park, BMX track, cafe and lovely beach.
- Get ferry from Palm Beach to Booker Bay.
Want more ideas for things to do with kids?
- 12 things to do on a scorching hot day in Sydney with kids
- Best indoor play centres in the North Shore, Hills and Northern Beaches
- Explore Sydney by train, bus, ferry or light rail on Sundays for $2.80
- Best rainy day activities for kids in Sydney
- Child-friendly bushwalks in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park