Being a mum doesn’t mean we have to throw our dancing shoes away! It’s just about finding new dance floors in Sydney that cater to the ‘older’ crowd. We’re excited to revel 25 amazing bars and nightclubs around Sydney (and the suburbs!) where you can dance the night away.
When North Shore Mums Founder, Rachel asked in our Facebook group about dance floors in Sydney for a night out (that are good for the ‘older’ crowd!), she was not only spoilt for choice with suggestions, it was also clear there were many other mums desperate for a night out where they wouldn’t feel out of place. So we thought we should create an ultimate list of these fabulous spots.
Where can you go out dancing in the city (that’s not full of teens & 20-somethings)? – Rachel
So, put on those dancing shoes, glam yourself up and get ready to hit the dance floor. We have your go-to venues for that next night out when it comes to dancing in Sydney. Click on the quick links below to find the best bar for you and your girlfriends. It’s time for a mums night out!
- Boogie Mountain, Potts Point
- El Loco at Slip Inn, Sydney CBD
- Establishment, Sydney CBD
- Goros, Surry Hills
- Hyde Hacienda Sydney Bar + Lounge, Circular Quay
- Marble Bar, Sydney CBD
- Orient Hotel, The Rocks
- Prince of York, Sydney CBD
- Soda Factory, Surry Hills
- Zeta Cocktail Bar, Sydney CBD
1. Prince of York
This hidden gem is an underground secret that has been well-kept. Don’t be fooled by the outside (it looks like nothing is going on when you arrive), there’s a great dance floor downstairs waiting for you! Dine upstairs first and then head down to Pamela’s where you can quite literally dance on the tables – we’re not kidding! You can enjoy live music, drag queens, DJs and plenty of cocktails.
- Address: 18 York St, Sydney NSW 2000
- Opening hours: Sunday & Monday: closed | Wednesday-Thursday: 12pm-2am | Friday & Saturday: 12pm-2am
- Website: princeofyork.com.au
2. Establishment Bar
With magnificent columns lining the walls and a 42-metre-long marble bar as its centerpiece, Establishment Bar exudes style and sophistication. This historic venue is a Sydney icon, and a unique place to enjoy a drink. Popular with the ‘after work’ crowd on Thursdays and Fridays, you won’t feel out of place if you’re 30-40+ years old!
- Address: 252 George Street, Sydney
- Opening hours: Thursdays: Throwback Thursdays 5pm – late | Fridays: Live Band 5pm – 7pm & DJs 7pm – late | Saturdays: DJs 6pm – late
- Website: merivale.com/establishment/
3. Marble Bar
This Victorian-style space is aptly named Marble Bar with it’s marble and mahogany interior. It’s the perfect place to visit on a Friday night (with DJ Trey), where you will find cocktails, gourmet bar snacks, and, of course, dancing!
It’s a heritage-listed underground bar and music venue that was built in the former Adams Hotel in 1893 and dismantled, transported and reassembled in Hilton Sydney in 1973, where it has been restored. You’ll find lots of funky tunes to dance the night away, with some spectacular sites to enjoy.
Marble Bar in the Hilton was one of my faves pre-covid for all a more grown up dancing crowd and really good music. Small but a great vibe and no teeny boppers – Shaila
- Address: Level B1/488 George St, Sydney NSW 2000
- Opening hours: Sunday-Tuesday: Closed | Wednesday & Thursday: 4pm-10pm | Friday & Saturday: 4pm-1am
- Website: marblebarsydney.com.au
4. Zeta Cocktail Bar
Enjoy creative cocktails mixed in a classy, high-ceilinged bar with a rooftop patio and views of the QVB at Zeta Cocktail Bar. Located in Hilton Sydney (above Marble Bar), enjoy live music on Friday nights. And every Saturday, Zeta Bar is taken over by Embassy Sydney.
- Address: Level 4 – Hilton Sydney, 488 George St, Sydney
- Opening hours: Friday & Saturday: 7pm-late
- Website: zetabar.com.au
5. Hyde Hacienda Sydney Bar + Lounge
Let your hair down against the backdrop of breathtaking harbour views at this chic, airy bar in Circular Quay. You can enjoy a pastel oasis with lush foliage, neon lights and private booths, while you pair shareable plates with wines & cocktails. You can dance into the night with their fabulous DJs and live music.
- Address: 61 Macquarie St, Circular Quay, Sydney
- Opening hours: Monday-Thursday: 5pm-10pm | Friday: 12pm-late | Saturday: 11am-late | Sunday: 11am-6pm
- Website: hydehaciendasydney.com
6. Orient Hotel
Enjoy bistro meals & fine dining in their tri-level, 1840s pub in The Rocks, with chic lounge areas & a leafy courtyard. Every weekend they have live music, just head to their gig guide to see what’s coming up (and make sure it’s your style tunes!).
- Address: 89 George St, The Rocks NSW 2000
- Opening hours: Monday & Tuesday: 10.30am-10pm | Wednesday & Thursday: 10.20am-11pm | Friday: 10.30am-1am | Saturday: 11am-1am | Sunday: 11am-10pm
- Website: orienthotel.com.au
7. El Loco at Slip Inn
Bringing the Mexican fiesta vibe to the Sydney CBD, El Loco at Slip Inn is great for mum’s drinks & dancing. They’re lively, speak fluent tequila and are famous for their tacos (be sure to ask for their secret one). And when you really want to get the party started, their line-up of resident DJs will have you and your amigos dancing the night away.
And if you’re single and looking to find your Prince Charming… need we remind you that it was at the Slip Inn in the year 2000 where Mary from Tasmania met Prince Frederick? Swoon!
- Address: 111 Sussex Street, Sydney
- Opening hours: Monday-Wednesday 11am-late | Thursday: 11am-1am | Friday: 11am-2am | Saturday: 5pm-2am
- Website: merivale.com/venues/slipinn
8. Boogie Mountain
There’s no better place for a good boogie than heading to the aptly named Boogie Mountain. You’ll find disco balls and comfortable seats for you to take a break when your legs need it, so you can refresh and get up and dance again. They have lots of live music and events throughout the week.
- Address: Level 2/33-35 Darlinghurst Rd, Potts Point NSW 2011
- Opening hours: Friday: 8pm-2am | Saturday: 8pm-3.30am
- Website: boogiemountain.com.au
Goros is the perfect spot for a party with friends! It’s a Japanese restaurant and late night party club that is tucked away in the backstreets of Surry Hills. If you like ‘different’, then this is where you’ll find it. They love to create live moments that will make you laugh and ensure a good time.
You can head there for a delicious Japanese dinner, before heading along to one of their Karaoke rooms (who doesn’t love karaoke!), or hit the dance floor!
- Address: 84-86 Mary Street, Surry Hills
- Opening hours: Sunday-Tuesday: Closed | Wednesday-Thursday: 5pm-12am | Friday & Saturday: 5pm-2am
- Website: goros.com.au
10. Soda Factory
Start your night off at their American Diner, where you can enjoy juicy burgers, mouth-watering gourmet hot-dogs, fried chicken and their signature mac n’ cheese. Pair these with a flavour-focused yet playful cocktail list; nostalgic numbers like ice-cream spiders, bubble-gum infused martinis or other clever twists on the classics.
Then, when you’re ready to dance, you can watch live bands and soak up the tunes from top notch DJs on their dedicated stage. On Friday nights, Factory Fridays enjoy $6 Happy Hour drinks from 5-7pmn, and DJs spinning beats until 2am. Or Soda Saturdays, enjoy $15 cocktails and DJs play the best of the past, present and future classics
- Address: 16 Wentworth Avenue, Surry Hills
- Opening hours: Mon – Sun from 5pm – late
- Website: sodafactory.com.au
Want even more spots to dance in Sydney?
These top spots to dance for an ‘older crowd’ were also suggested by the mums in our Facebook group…
- The Oaks: 118 Military Rd, Neutral Bay
- Crows Nest Hotel: 1 Willoughby Road, Crows Nest
- Minsky Hotel: 287 Military Road, Cremorne
- Tropikana: 42 North Steyne, Manly
- Café del Mar Sydney: 35 Wheat Rd, Rooftop Terrace, Cockle Bay Wharf, Darling Harbour
- The Port: Harbourside Shopping Centre, 2-10 Darling Drive, Darling Harbour
- Rock Lily: Level 1, The Star Sydney, 80 Pyrmont Street, Pyrmont
- The Mercantile Hotel: 25 George Street, The Rocks
- Ivy Bar: 330 George St, Sydney
- Columbian Hotel: 117-125 Oxford Street, Darlinghurst
- Palms on Oxford: 124 Oxford St, Darlinghurst
- The Bridge Hotel Rozelle
- Bluefig Bar: 112 Enmore Road, Newtown
- MoshPit: 642A King St, Erskineville
- Bella Vista Hotel; 13-15 Lexington Drive, Bella Vista