Want to know the best family-friendly spots around Sydney’s North Shore for a bite to eat near the water? We have some fabulous waterside cafes in Sydney for you to pop on your bucket list. Whether it’s a lake, the harbour, cove or a beach, there are lots of child-friendly cafes around the North Shore and Northern Beaches, so book a table and try somewhere new!
Is there anything more peaceful than being able to sit by the water and listen to the sounds of nature while you enjoy a bite to eat? Even better, in some of these places you can bring your swimmers along and enjoy a dip to cool off afterwards. These waterside cafes in Sydney make for the perfect afternoon with friends and family. Use the links below to find your favourite:
- Bathers’ Pavilion, Balmoral
- The Boathouse, Balmoral
- Plonk Beach Cafe, Mosman
- Celsius Coffee Co., Kirribilli
- Deckhouse, Woolwich
- Echo on the Marina, Roseville
- Waterside Bistro, Bobbin Head
- Flying Fox Cafe, Mona Vale
- The Boatshed Cafe, Narrabeen
- Little Manly Beach Kiosk, Manly
Best Child-Friendly Waterside Cafes around Sydney’s North Shore
1. Bathers’ Pavilion Cafe, Balmoral
Sit and watch the ferries go by or the waves lapping on beautiful Balmoral beach at this beautiful lower North Shore waterside cafe. Children are well looked after with colouring, highchairs and some very well equipped children’s bathrooms. Afterwards, head to the nearby playground or beach for some fun! They have a series of spaces, from relaxed to formal, with plenty of delicious menu options. Choose from Grilled octopus salad, a range of pizzas, meat, pasta and more.
Discover more things to do at Balmoral.
- Address: 4 The Esplanade, Balmoral
- Phone: (02) 9969 5050
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 7am-10pm
2. The Boathouse, Balmoral
The Boathouse is a relaxed oasis by Balmoral Beach with plenty of calming green vegetation. Come for their signatures fish and chips or just a casual coffee. The queues can be long on weekends, but the atmosphere is great and food tasty. Located just near the playground, it offers the perfect spot for brunch with the family. There’s plenty of options on their menu, including Grilled Barramundi, Cold Seafood Platter, burgers and more.
- Address: 2 The Esplanade, Balmoral
- Phone: (02) 9968 4412
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 7am-3pm
3. Plonk Beach Cafe, Mosman
Plonk Beach Cafe is hidden under the Spit Bridge at Mosman and offers great indoor and alfresco dining right on the wharf and beach. Little ones will love rummaging through the toy boxes and playing on the white sandy beach. This relaxed place offers Modern Australian food on a sprawling deck with wicker chairs and harbour views. Head there on a Sunday and you can even enjoy some live music – it’s one of the perfect waterside cafes in Sydney.
- Address: The Spit Bridge, 83 Parriwi Road Mosman
- Phone: (02) 9960 1007
- Opening hours: Monday & Thursday, 11.30am-3pm | Friday to Sunday, 11.30am-8.30pm
4. Celsius Coffee Co., Kirribilli
The food here looks as good as it tastes. They like to try new things and mix it up a bit, with some more adventurous menu items, and your staples such as burgers. You and the kids can enjoy hearty meals and coffee in an intimate, glass-fronted cafe on a ferry wharf overlooking the harbour. You can even make a day out of it and catch the ferry there from the city with the kids.
- Address: Commuter Wharf, Holbrook Ave, Kirribilli
- Phone: 0486 038 730
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 7.20am-2.30pm | Saturday & Sunday, 8am-2.30pm
5. Deckhouse, Woolwich
Hidden away on Woolwich Dock with spectacular harbour views, The Deckhouse is the perfect waterside cafe for a family breakfast or lunch. They cater brilliantly for children with activity packs, high chairs, a children’s menu and plenty of space to run outside. Enjoy their ceiling-high windows and a large verandah, serving bistro-style meals, including antipasto platters, roast chicken, fritters, and more.
- Address: Clarke Rd, Woolwich
- Phone: (02) 9817 4394
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am-3pm
6. Echo on The Marina, Roseville
Located just 8 minutes from Chatswood and overlooking Middle Harbour, this is a great tucked away restaurant that welcomes children. After lunch or brunch, why not enjoy a walk along the marina checking out the boats or admiring the ducks sun baking on the nearby beach. You really feel away from the hustle and bustle of the city here. Click here to read our review.
- Address: 15 Normac Street, Roseville
- Phone: (02) 9417 4422
- Opening hours: Wednesday to Sunday, 8am-4pm | Saturday & Sunday, 12pm-2.30pm & 6pm-8.30pm
7. Waterside Bistro, Bobbin Head
Enjoy an idyllic location by the water at Waterside Bistro, Bobbin Head. Located within the impressive yet welcoming Empire Marina in the pristine Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, the meals are tasty and generous in portion, and their coffee is freshly roasted on the premises and served by trained baristas. Before or after your meal, enjoy a bush walk or visit the playground at Bobbin Head!
- Address:1002 Bobbin Head Rd, Bobbin Head
- Phone: (02) 9876 4357
- Opening hours: Open 7 days for breakfast & lunch
- Book online
Best Child-Friendly Waterside Cafes around Sydney’s Northern Beaches
8. Flying Fox Cafe, Mona Vale
This café was made for children. The name says it all and is taken from the fabulous flying fox in the adjoining children’s playground. It’s super casual but serves great food, so you can sit back and enjoy whilst your little ones play and enjoy themselves. Flying Fox Café is located in Winnererremy Bay, which has been voted ‘the best park in Sydney. The waterfront park has everything you need for a great day out with the family including a huge playground, paths for bikes or scooter and picnic areas.
- Address: 2 Mona Street, Mona Vale
- Phone: (02) 9986 0980
- Opening hours: Monday to Sunday, 7am-4pm
9. The Boatshed Cafe, Narrabeen
The Boatshed Café on the northern beaches is a popular waterside cafe for local families. It offers a serene atmosphere on Narrabeen Lake, gaggles of geese for little ones to feed, two nearby playgrounds, an extensive path for bike riding around the lake, great coffee and fantastic food. What more could you ask for? It’s one of the best waterside cafes in Sydney to bring the kids to!
- Address: 11 Narrabeen St, Narrabeen
- Phone: (02) 9913 8938
- Opening hours: Thursday to Tuesday, 7.30am-4pm
10. Little Manly Beach Kiosk, Manly
Waterside cafes don’t get much better for kids… as there’s so much else to do too! Little Manly Beach is a small protected harbour beach with no waves, white sand and nearby swings. This little hole-in-the-wall kiosk is a little gem with amazing views of the ocean and plenty of room for the little ones to have a ball! Plus, you know you’ll find something they love on the menu with sausage rolls, cheese on toast and ice-creams! There’s so much fun to have at Manly Beach as well.
- Address: Little Manly Beach, 42 Stuart St, Manly
- Phone: (02) 9977 7104
- Opening hours: Sunday to Tuesday, 9am-5pm | Wednesday to Saturday, 9am-9pm