Have you ever thought about launching a new product? We speak to entrepreneur Laura Campbell who saw the need for a baby carrier that didn’t break your back… so she created one herself! Here, she shares her business journey from idea to the launch of the Hackerlily HipSurfer!
Got yourself a Stage 9 Clinger? Or perhaps a teether, light sleeper or adventure seeker? Babies get heavy and carrying a toddler is back-breaking stuff. Entrepreneur and Mum of two, Laura Campbell has launched a baby carrier aimed at lightening the load of parenthood, designed for health, convenience and fashion.
But launching a product isn’t easy! Rachel and Sarah from The Parenting Couch podcast sit down with Laura to find out why she decided to create a baby product, and the exact steps she took to get it launched! In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why Laura created the Hackerlily HipSurfer
- How she created a product from scratch to make carrying kids easier (and more stylish!)
- What makes the Hackerlily HipSurfer different to other baby carriers
- How much she had to invest to get the product to market
- The big challenges she has faced in launching a baby product
- The best online business community groups to use for support
- Why she wants more mums to launch businesses
Watch a snippet from the interview
Listen to the interview with Laura Campbell
Listen to the episode of The Parenting Couch interview with Laura Campbell on your favourite podcast platform.
The Hackerlily HipSurfer
HipSurfer has been designed to fully absorb and redistribute the full weight of growing kids, so you can enjoy the time they’re in your arms – without pain or strain.
“I found that when you carry your child on your hip you tend to pop it out and this causes a ricochet effect on the rest of your body. I specifically experienced strain and pain in my neck, shoulders, wrists and fingers. I would feel guilty for putting my kids down because all I could think about was the strain of holding them. After speaking with local mums, dads and grandparents, I found out I wasn’t the only one.” – Laura Campbell
Unable to find a baby carrier that suited her style or needs and that didn’t take minutes to strap on, she set about designing her own.
Eight prototypes later, the Hackerlily HipSurfer was born- an ergonomic, strap-free, hip-seat baby carrier with built-in storage. It’s almost like a bum bag with a seat. The wide, padded waistband sits snugly on the waist and redistributes the full weight of the child.
With an easy hop-on/hop-off design, it takes around 15 seconds to put on, so parents (and especially grandparents) can be soothing their unsettled child or out the door and off for a walk within moments.
The HipSurfer is loved by medical professionals too…
“As a practitioner, I love the design, the premium quality, the support it offers, and the ability to have an attached parenting style whilst still maintaining the integrity of the child’s hip function,” – Dr Ali Young, Chiropractor & a Mum to a child who had hip dysplasia.
“Repetitive strain injuries are so common in mums due to the sudden increase in lifting and holding of a new baby, especially so soon after giving birth. The HipSurfer is a great tool for reducing the impact on your body, while also offering freedom to hold them one minute and put them down the next, something you can’t do with traditional strappy carriers.” – Alison Jeffrey, Women’s Health physiotherapist
About Laura Campbell
Laura Campbell is a mum of two, Entrepreneur and Founder of Hackerlily HipSurfer.
Laura has designed the first baby carrier of its kind in Australia, aimed at lightening the load of parenthood. The award -winning HipSurfer hipseat baby carrier is the product of Laura’s lived experience of raising two young children in the hot Australian climate, while managing the symptoms of arthritis and Carpal Tunnel. In 2021, while Laura was on maternity leave with her son, she found herself struggling with painful swelling in her back and joints, and carrying her baby felt impossible. Unable to find a carrier that suited her style or needs and that didn’t take minutes to strap on, she set about designing her own.
Eight prototypes later, the Hackerlily HipSurfer was born- an ergonomic, doctor-approved, strap-free, hipseat baby carrier with built-in storage and world first interchangeable cover.
Special Offer: 10% off for North Shore Mums
Want a Hackerlily HipSurfer for yourself? Laura is giving North Shore Mums the opportunity to buy one online with a 10% discount!
- Click here to view the Hackerlily HipSurfer range.
- Promo Code: NSMUMS10
- Hurry, offer ends 30 April 2023
Win! Hackerlily HipSurfer
Want to WIN a Hackerlily HipSurfer worth $197? To go in the running to win, simply listen to the podcast interview with Laura and tell us what sport she played professionally before rheumatoid arthritis stopped her from continuing.
Listen to more Parenting Couch podcasts
- Setting boundaries with ‘nope coach’ Suzanne Culberg
- Domestic Violence & how to leave an abusive partner
- Fashion Tips for Busy Mums, with Shannon Johnson
- Henny Stier shares her top tips for buying a family home
- Kaz Cooke shares her tips for helping your tween through puberty
Terms & Conditions
- Entry into this competition is by completing the online entry form on northshoremums.com.au.
- The promotion commences at 4.00am AEST on 12/04/23 and concludes at 23:59pm AEDST on 30/04/23 (the “Promotion Period”). All information must be submitted via the online form on northshoremums.com.au website. The winner must correctly name the sport that Laura Campbell played professionally before rheumatoid arthritis stopped her from continuing. One winner will be randomly selected by a computerised system on 01/05/23 at 12.00pm at North Shore Mums head office.
- The winner will receive a Hackerlily HipSurfer worth $197
- The prizes are non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and is not redeemable for cash or other prizes. Winners will be notified by email. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook or Instagram.
- The ‘Promoter’ is Chappell Publishing Pty Ltd, trading as North Shore Mums (ABN 86611623851) of PO Box 690 Wahroonga NSW 2072.