Whether you’re looking to organise a child-free catch up with the girls or want celebrate a big occasion, high tea makes for a decadent and memorable experience. To help you decide where to indulge, we’ve rounded up our top places for high tea on Sydney’s North Shore. Enjoy a relaxing afternoon surrounded by good food, good drinks and good company – and in some cases, an amazing view for you to soak it all up with.
There are so many great excuses to book a High Tea – a baby shower, a milestone birthday, a Hen’s day or just an excuse to have a lovely afternoon out with your girlfriends!
- Gunners Barracks, Mosman
- Burnt Orange, Mosman
- Sugar’n Spice, Chatswood Chase
- Woolwich Pier Hotel
- Hornsby RSL
- Ferris Wheel High Tea, Luna Park
- Boronia Tea Room, Mosman – temporarily closed due to Covid-19
1. Gunners Barracks, Mosman
With the sparkling Sydney Harbour as its backdrop, Gunners Barracks is undoubtedly one of the most picturesque locations to enjoy a high tea on the North Shore. You can soak up the incredible views with a delicious assortment of cakes, scones, sandwiches and savoury pastries served on tiered silver stands.
Treat yourself to Asia Pacific’s largest selection of Ronnefeldt teas, and mix it up with some of the other refreshing beverages on offer. You can choose from a Sparkling High Tea, served with a glass of Australian Sparkling, a Cocktail High Tea, served with your choice of cocktail, or take things up a notch with their Champagne High Tea, served with a piccolo of French champagne.
Gunners Barracks also offers a Children’s High Tea option, making it the perfect day out on weekends and holidays.
- Address: End of Suakin Drive, Georges Heights, Mosman
- Phone: (02) 8962 5900
- Available: From 10am weekdays and weekends. Call to book, as they often have private functions on the weekend.
- Price: Traditional High Tea $55, Sparking High Tea $60, Cocktail High Tea $70, Champagne High Tea $80, Children’s High Tea $40.
- Website: gunnersbarracks.com.au
2. Burnt Orange, Mosman
Another amazing Mosman location, Burnt Orange has a elegant yet casual vibe, whilst offering some amazing views of Sydney Harbour as you enjoy a delicious high tea in Sydney. Sit back, relax and unwind on their wrap-around verandah that makes sure those views don’t get missed. Originally built in the 1920s, this stunning high tea spot is also rich in history and culture.
Their high tea is served on Avoca crockery and includes some familiar staples, such as finger sandwiches and freshly baked scones, along with their signature tart with blood orange curd and some other tantalising treats. Wash it down with a tea or coffee, or a glass of bubbles if you fancy!
Let’s not forget their delightful kid’s menu, with sprinkles galore, gingerbread topped sandwiches, and other delicious treats. Perfect option for a special day out, or even a kid’s birthday party.
- Address: 1109 Middle Head Road, Mosman
- Phone: (02) 9969 1120
- Available: Weekdays from 12pm and weekends at 3.30pm. A 50% deposit is required to secure the booking.
- Price: High Tea $50 | Sparking High Tea $60.
- Website: burntorange.com.au
3. Sugar’n Spice
There’s no time like tea time! At Sugar ‘n Spice, Alice and friends would like to invite you to enjoy the best dining experience ever! Their whimsical interior (based on a modern take of a scene in ‘Alice in Wonderland’) is sure to transport you into a fantasy world where “food is made fun”. This is a magical spot for a high tea… especially if you have little ones!
Adult High Tea: 2 freshly baked scones of choice with home-made jam and clotted cream. Two handmade cakes per person. One handmade filled chocolate sculpture per person. Two flavours of ribbon sandwiches per person. Three flavours of canope per person. 1 large pot of tea from our T2 selection OR 2 small pots with flavour of choice.
Kids High Tea: Ribbon sandwich, banana and Nutella roll-up topped with M&M’s, fresh strawberries with Belgian chocolate for dipping, a pig cupcake, churro bites with Nutella dipping sauce and a choice of kid’s milkshake, iced tea or juice.
- Address: Ground Floor, G-056, Chatswood Chase
- Phone: (02) 9419 2217
- Price: Adults $99 for two | Kids $23
- Website: sugarnspice.com.au
4. Woolwich Pier Hotel
If you are after a nice and relaxed vibe to while away an afternoon, it’s worth checking out Woolwich Pier Hotel. Sit on The Terrace and enjoy high tea in Sydney with the girls while soaking up some sunshine!
Made popular by Queen Victoria herself, you are served a combination of sandwiches, scones, small cakes, treats and, of course, tea! Sip on a delectable mimosa upon arrival or jazz it up by including some sparkling Chandon. Bring your little one along and turn it into the perfect Mother’s Group catch up.
- Address: 2 Gale Street, Woolwich
- Phone: (02) 9817 2204
- Available: Every day from 2pm. Bookings required. Suitable for groups of four or more.
- Price: Traditional High Tea $32, Chandon High Tea $42, Veuve Clicquot High Tea $54
- Website: woolwichpierhotel.com.au
5. Hornsby RSL Club
High Tea at an RSL? It’s true! Push those reservations aside, and book in an afternoon high tea at Hornsby RSL Club – you won’t regret it! Level One Lounge (which has a funky bar-like vibe), serves high tea on Sunday afternoons and offers assorted sandwiches, petit fours, mini quiches and freshly baked scones with preserves and cream. If you’re looking for the best value high tea, this is where you will find it.
Choose from four different options:
- Standard ($34)– this comes with tea only
- Bubbly ($41) – comes with a glass of Seppelt Fleur De Lys
- Cocktail ($44)– includes an exclusive or class cocktail
- French ($52) – with a glass of Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Brut
- Address: Level One Lounge, 4 High Street, Hornsby
- Phone: (02) 9477 7777
- Available: First Sunday of the month from 1pm
- Price: Standard $34, Bubbly $41, Cocktail $44, French $52
- Website: hornsbyrsl.com.au
6. Ferris Wheel High Tea, Luna Park
If you’re looking for something a little bit different, the Ferris Wheel High Tea at Luna Park is a fabulous high tea in Sydney that is worth checking out. You can soak up some stunning views of Sydney Harbour while enjoying an assortment of delicious treats. This high tea really will take you to new heights, catering for 2 to 4 people per carriage on the Ferris Wheel.
The Mediterranean inspired menu from Altum House Restaurant strays from the classics you’d expect to see. Be prepared for plenty of flavour with eggplant, ricotta and olive paninis, pumpkin and cheese frittatas, coffee-infused tiramisu and raspberry gel cheesecake. After the ride is over, you are invited back to the Deck Bar to enjoy a beverage.
- Address: 1 Olympic Drive Milsons Point
- Phone: (02) 9033 7670
- Available: Every day from 11am
- Price: $160 to $320 depending on number of people
- Website: altumrestaurant.com
7. Boronia Tea Room, Mosman
Update: Temporarily closed due to Covid-19. Check website for latest situation.
Set in the beautiful grounds of Reservoir Park, you can enjoy a more traditional high tea experience at Boronia House. Boronia House is located within the beautifully restored interiors of a heritage listed mansion (est. 1885). This picturesque setting is complete with light interiors, high ceilings and statement chandeliers, creating a magical setting for you to enjoy.
The high tea includes an array of sweet and savoury treats, with a few non-traditional items, such as fresh figs wrapped in prosciutto and open chicken waldorf sandwiches on crunchy sourdough and cos lettuce, mixed in with your favourites, including freshly baked scones and chocolate dipped strawberries. Choose from a wide selection of T2 tea or espresso coffee, or treat yourself with a glass of Australian sparkling or NV Veuve Clicquot.
Boronia House also offers a Little Ladies High Tea that caters for girls aged 3 to 12 years. Kids can enjoy a delightful selection of their favourite treats, including chocolate fondue, chocolate chip cookies, mini pancakes and fairy bread, washed down with tea, hot chocolate or fruit juice.
- Address: Boronia House, 624 Military Rd, Mosman
- Phone: (02) 9188 5021
- Available: Wednesday to Monday from 11.00am -2.00pm on weekdays, and 11.00am -3.00pm weekends
- Price: Standard High Tea $57.50, Champagne High Tea $77.50
- Website: mosmancatering.com