Looking for a shopping centre around Sydney’s North Shore that has a free play area for the kids? Luckily, most of the bigger shopping centres are built with families in mind, and have a play zone to allow kids to let off some steam, mid-shop! Yes, shopping with young children can be challenging, but if you choose a shopping centre with a play area, you have a better chance of getting them to cooperate after they’ve has a play for 15 minutes! Here’s your ultimate list of North Shore shopping centres with free kids’ play areas
- Big Bear, Neutral Bay
- HomeHQ, Artarmon
- Westfield Chatswood
- Chatswood Chase
- Westfield Hornsby
- Macquarie Centre
- Top Ryde Shopping Centre
- Rhodes Waterside
- Belrose SuperCentre
- Westfield Warringah Mall
- Warriewood Square
Lower North Shore shopping centres with free kids’ play areas
1. Big Bear, Neutral Bay
The Big Bear Shopping Centre has a large Coles Supermarket and is complemented by thirteen speciality convenience retailers. There’s also a free soft play area, ideal for children aged 1-5 years. It’s one of the best Sydney shopping centres with play areas.
- Address: 116 Military Road, Neutral Bay
2. HomeHQ, Artarmon
If you’re buying up big for the home and need a bit of time out, there’s a Pirate Ship themed soft play area called the HomeHQ Kids Area on the lower ground floor (near Barbeques Galore & Fantastic Furniture). This includes a fabulous pirate ship climbing gym which is recommended for children aged 2-6 years. This free indoor playground in Sydney will provide plenty of fun!
- Address: HomeHQ, Corner of Frederick Street & Reserve Road, Artarmon
- Website: homehq.com.au
3. Westfield Chatswood
A new kids play area at Westfield Chatswood opened in December 2019. The Urban Escape Playground is an indoor play centre that features lots of cute animals. structures to climb, cubby house and an impressive slide! The Chatswood Westfield play area is designed for ages 1-8 years.
- Address: Westfield Chatswood, Level 3, 1 Anderson Street, Chatswood
- Website: westfield.com.au/chatswood
4. Chatswood Chase
On the top floor at Chatswood Chase, there’s a small play area for children. There’s a cute wooden train to sit on, and a little cubby that has six iPads loaded with games. This Chatswood Chase playground looks very classy and in fitting with the environment, but probably won’t amuse kids for more than ten minutes. However, it’s conveniently located near a cafe and all the children’s shops.
- Address: Chatswood Chase, 345 Victoria Avenue, Chatswood
- Website: chatswoodchasesydney.com.au
Upper North Shore shopping centres with free kids’ play areas
5. Westfield Hornsby
Triple-Level Play Centre (Level 2, near Aldi)
Hornsby Westfield has opened a brand new triple-level Play World outside Aldi in October 2019. Take a look at the amazing new play area, which is the largest in the Westfield portfolio with slides. It’s one of the best Sydney shopping centres with play areas. It’s suitable for up to 6 years of age and features:
- Safety gate around the perimeter of the play area for peace of mind (the area near Aldi is close to the carpark)
- Close by coffee! The adjacent café is Jimini’s
- Secure and safe: The area is also monitored under CCTV for additional security measures.
- Pram parking: Additional pram space is available at the carpark end of the zone for those visiting with younger bubs. This Playworld is also conveniently located down the travelator from dedicated parking with prams on level 2M Orange carpark and up one travelator from the Parents Room.
- Address: Westfield Hornsby, Level 2, 236 Pacific Highway, Hornsby
- Website: www.westfield.com.au/hornsby
6. Macquarie Centre
If your little one loves to crawl, toddle or explore, this new play area is for you! Located on Level 1 outside Kmart, it’s full of brightly coloured play equipment, and carefully designed to take into consideration all the issues parents face with play areas.
First up, there’s a large dedicated ‘pram parking’ zone outside the entrance, meaning prams are contained and not left haphazardly for people to trip up on.
There’s also just one entrance and exit to the Play Zone, minimising the risk of a child slipping out unnoticed. Parents can choose to sit on the seating bench inside the play area (don’t forget to pop your shoes into the integrated shoe cubbies underneath the bench!) or at the tables outside if you prefer to get your caffeine fix.
- Address: Macquarie Centre, Cnr Herring and Waterloo Roads, North Ryde
- Website: macquariecentre.com.au
7. Top Ryde Shopping Centre
Top Ryde City’s FREE play zone is located on Level 1. Incorporating three specific zones combining passive, active and interactive play, there is something for all children aged 0 -12 years old.
The interactive zone contains three interactive screens as well as a book zone with bean bags to lounge in as well as a table for colouring-in. The climbing zone, a play gym with rock climbing wall, multiple slides, rope ladder and tunnel. And the soft play, a tactile soft carpet with climbing mounds and cut-outs as well as build it blocks.
- Address: Top Ryde Shopping Centre, Corner Devlin Street and Blaxland Road, Ryde
- Website: toprydecity.com.au
8. Rhodes Waterside
Rhodes Waterside unveiled their much anticipated Monkey Bar in May 2017, an incredible new free play zone that really redefines the whole concept of having a play area for kids in a shopping centre… and we just love them for it! The design encompasses 6m tall climbing towers viewable from the upper level. The Monkey Bar is filled with slides, touch to learn activities, climbing towers as well as a special soft play area for the little ones. It’s suitable for children aged 2-10 years.
- Address: Rhodes Waterside, 1 Rider Boulevard, Rhodes
- Website: rhodeswaterside.com.au
Northern Beaches shopping centres with free kids’ play areas
9. Belrose SuperCentre
Shopping for furniture, homewares or electronics? There’s lots to shop at Belrose SuperCentre! If you’re shopping with kids, there are two excellent options for a mid-shop play.
The outdoor playground is located on the top floor, just by the Food Courts. It features a climbing structure and slides, and is fully shaded. So grab a coffee or some lunch, and the kids can play!
- Address: Belrose SuperCentre, 4-6 Niangala Close, Belrose
- Website: belrosesupercentre.com.au
10. Westfield Warringah Mall
Westfield Warringah Mall has been recently renovated, and it looks amazing! The Warringah Mall play area is lovely too. Kidsplay (next to Three Beans Café) is recommended for children aged 3-8 years, and is an area where kids can climb, hide and spin on the handcrafted equipment. Bring the young ones to picnic in the open spaces, experience the sounds of the ocean and light up the pebbles. The soft play (pictured) for younger children is on ground level, opposite Just Jeans.
- Address: Westfield Warringah Mall, Corner Condamine Street & Old Pittwater Road, Brookvale
- Website: westfield.com.au/warringahmall
11. Warriewood Square
Warriewood Square has a lovely interactive play for toddlers that features native animals from the Northern Beaches area and surf boards. It’s located outside Kmart. There’s also an ALDI, Coles, Woolworths and lots of specialty stores – fashion, toys, gifts, hair & beauty, electronics and more!
- Address: Warriewood Square, Jacksons Road, Warriewood
- Website: warriewoodsquare.com.au