Blackman Park Lane Cove is one of those parks that has it all. There are plenty of activities to entertain toddlers, big kids, parents and grandparents, plus everyone in between! Here are our favourite reasons to visit and explore everything the park has to offer.
With the recent loosening of restrictions, families across the North Shore are more excited than ever about being able to get out into the fresh air and explore outdoor spaces with kids. And Blackman Park, Lane Cove, is a great destination offering bushwalks with jaw-dropping water views, a playground, off-leash dog park, sporting fields and plenty more.
Blackman Park, Lane Cove: Seven great reasons to go!
1. Bushwalk through Blackman Park with amazing views of Lane Cove
There are plenty of opportunities to take a stroll down to the river or a longer walk along the riverbanks from Blackman Park. The simplest and most toddler-friendly option is the paved walk to the river, which is just 100m and offers kids the chance to explore the mangroves or watch the rowing boats going by.
There’s a further assortment of bushwalks, well signposted with the return distance for each walk.
Blackman Park to The Boreen is a 2.6km waterside bushland walk taking in rocky cliffs, bushland trees and views of rowers, kayaks (and ducks!) on the river.
2. Blackman Park’s shared paths for bikes, scooters or runners
At Blackman Park, all kinds of riders are welcome. A generous, shared path circles the park, providing a paved 1km circuit for scooters and bikers, but also runners, pram pushers or wheelchair users. Flat and well-maintained, the track is easy for small kids and older users will enjoy the sights along the way, or level up their workout with stops at the purpose-built equipment.
3. Furry friends welcome! Blackman Park’s off-leash dog park
A fenced off-leash dog park at the western end of Blackman Park gives pet owners the opportunity to let their dogs play unrestrained. The purpose-built agility area is totally fenced in for dogs, with two different sections as well as a water tap and a covered bench seating area for spectating! Offleash dogs can also access the grass sports field if there’s no sports or training underway.
4. Kick back for a BBQ or host a kids party at the Scout Hall
The contained area at Blackman Park is great for parties, catch ups or casual celebrations. The park itself has easy parking, covered picnic tables, and a BBQ grill. Remember to arrive early as the area is popular, or bring a backup blanket and picnic.
There are also indoor facilities that can be hired from 1st Lane Cove Scout Group and Lane Cove/ Longueville Guides Group, which are all stationed at Blackman Park.
5. Perfect for play! The HUGE range of equipment
The park has a fully fenced equipment area, and loads of different play structures for different ages and skills.
- Table Tennis and Ping Pong table
- Flying Fox
- Play climbing gym for toddlers and preschoolers, with a cubby house underneath, slide and slanted climbing wall
- Taller climbing structure for older kids with more complex skills required
- Swings: Bucket, classic and disc
6. Exercise options for adults!
Exercise is for everyone at Blackman Park! Lane Cove council consulted with the community on the build and the design, with the result an accessible park with excellent range.
- Seniors Exercise Equipment – Designed for seniors, but useful for anyone. Each part of the exercise station is designed to work the body in the areas of balance, strength and agility. There are different variations that you can do to make it easier or harder.
- Half court basketball area with a hoop
- Four cricket nets
Blackman Park is also the home to Lane Cove West Tennis Club, offering three tennis courts with night lights for after-hours play. These courts can be booked for a spot of tennis with friends.
Blackman Park hosts many organised sporting activities on their grass and synthetic fields. If you’re lucky you might even get to see a National Premier League soccer match.
The park planning is to be commended for how well its design considers the needs of senior community members and the differently-abled. The park’s equipment is easily accessed by a wide range of ages and abilities.
The park has 250 on-site parking spaces with free, all-day parking, accessible toilets with ramp access, a paved and accessible bike path and exercise equipment for all ages (and specifically for seniors).
- Address: Blackman Park, Lloyd Rees Dr, Lane Cove West
- Picnic area with tables and a shelter
- BBQ Facilities
- Children’s play equipment including a flying fox and ping pong table
- Cricket pitch
- Cricket training nets x 4
- Basketball court
- Fitness Equipment areas
- Free all-day parking for over 250 cars
- River foreshore bushwalks
- Sporting ovals
- Skateboard ramp
- Toilets x 2 with disabled access
- Getting there: Parking on site is available (with spaces directly at park)
- More: Blackman Park Lane Cove West