Looking to plan some fun days out with the kids these Summer school holidays? There’s plenty of live shows, events and attractions to visit around Sydney’s North Shore! Here’s your round up of the best things to do these school holidays to enjoy some quality time with your kids, while keeping them nice and busy. Get planning!
So have a scroll down the list of school holiday activities on Sydney’s North Shore below, and click the Quicklink to go directly to the listing with all the event details!
- Australian Reptile Park (Somersby) – Kids 2 Keeper
- Illusionist Rick Thomas ‘Cult Romance – State Theatre, 1-3 Jan
- Inflatable World (Dural) – bounce into fun these holidays
- Jeral Puppets (Castle Cove) – puppet shows for kids
- Monkey Baa Theatre – Possum Magic – The Stage Show
- Sydney Opera House – Meeting Mozart, Dogman: The Musical & The London International Animation Festival
Book tickets to a live Kids Show
Sydney Opera House
Book a show at the Sydney Opera House these summer school holidays! Located at Circular Quay, you can make a day of it by walking around the harbour, stopping for an ice cream, enjoying a relaxing waterside lunch, and watching the ferries.
Meeting Mozart: Watch with delight as a talented pianist assumes the persona of the musical wunderkind himself, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, on this journey into the music behind the man. Join Mozart and his wife, Constanze for an introduction to this music, from variations on ‘Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star’ to his great orchestral pieces. ‘Meeting Mozart’ aims to instil a love and appreciation of music in young children and their families in an atmosphere that is fun, participatory and inclusive.
- When: 13-22 December
- Suited for: 3 years and over
- Cost: From $29 + $8.95 booking fee applies per transaction. Book tickets to Meeting Mozart
DOG MAN: THE MUSICAL: With the head of a dog and the body of a policeman, Dog Man loves to fight crime and chew on the furniture. But while trying his best to be a good boy, can he save the city from Flippy the cyborg fish and his army of Beasty Buildings? Can he catch Petey, the world’s most evil cat, who has cloned himself to exact revenge on the doggy do-gooder? And will George and Harold finish their show before lunchtime? Find out in this epic musical adventure featuring the hilarity and heart of Dav Pilkey’s beloved characters.
- When: 3-13 January
- Suited for: 6 years and over
From $35 + $8.95 booking fee applies per transaction.Book tickets to Dogman: The Musical
The London International Animation Festival: Over three days, the Sydney Opera House rolls out the red carpet as the Playhouse gets transformed into a cinema featuring animation, stop-motion and clay-motion from across the globe. This exclusive lineup is a fantastic way to introduce the whole family to the Sydney Opera House for a very affordable price.
- When: 18-21 January
- Suited for: 2-14 years
- Cost: All tickets $15 + $8.95 booking fee applies per transaction. Book tickets to The London International Animation Festival
Monkey Baa Theatre: Possum Magic – The Stage Show
Mem Fox and Julie Vivas’ beloved picture book ‘Possum Magic’ has enchanted children for over 40 years. Seen by over 150,000 young people across Australia, Monkey Baa’s delightful adaptation returns to the stage.
Featuring spellbinding magic, puppetry and original music, Monkey Baa’s award-winning team has turned the whimsical world of the book to a live experience for audiences ages 3–8 and their families.
- When: Tues 9 Jan: 10am & 12.30pm, Weds 10 Jan: 10am, 12.30pm & 2.30pm, Thurs 11 Jan: 10am & 12.30pm
- Where: 409 Victoria Ave, Chatswood
- Suited for: 3-8 years
- Cost: $45.40
- Book: monkeybaa.com.au
Cult Romance: Rick Thomas, Illusionist (Sydney)
In a treat for lovers of magic and illusion world renowned Grand Illusionist Rick Thomas is set to take over Sydney’s State Theatre from 1 January 2024. Widely known as one of the greatest illusionists in the world today, audiences will be blown away as they witness his intriguing, innovative and mind-blowing grand illusions.
Rick has sold out performances at Caesars Colosseum and staged the most successful family show in the history of Las Vegas. This show will be a delight for the entire family, guaranteed to leave you utterly astounded… in fact, you will be blown away!
- When: Monday 1 January, 7pm | Tuesday 2 January, 3pm & 7pm | Wednesday 3 January 3pm & 7pm
- Location: 49 Market St, Sydney
- Suited for: 5-85 years
- Cost: From $59 plus handling fee
- Book: Online
- Website: rickthomas.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/rickthomasmagic
Puppeteria Theatre presents Jeral Puppets (Castle Cove)
Take the kids to a puppet show these school holidays! Join the Jeral Puppets for a program filled with familiar stories, songs, and rhymes to engage and entertain preschool and primary-aged children! With easy parking, air-conditioning and a playground next door, a trip to the puppet show is a fun, easy and comfortable activity for kids and their parents, grandparents and carers.
- When: Jeral Puppets present a range of shows at 10.30am:
- ‘Henry Hippo’s Holiday’ – 12, 22, 26, & 28 November
- ‘Pixie’s Australian Xmas’ + ‘Santa & the Unicorn’ – 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21, 21, 22, 23, 26 December
- ‘Pinocchio’ + ‘Cinderella’ – 8, 15, 19, 21 & 24 January
- ‘The Dinosaur Show’ + ‘The Little Mermaid’ – 27, 28, 29 December & 2, 9, 18, 23 & 25 January
- ‘Gingerbread Man’ – 19 November & 4, 10 January
- ‘Sleeping Beauty’ + ‘Murgatroid’s Adventures in Space’ – 11, 12, 16, 22 & 29 January
- Where: 12H Denawen Ave, Castle Cove
- Suited for: 2-5 years and 3-9 years
- Cost: Adults: $15 | Children: $13. Book online at trybook.com
- Website: puppeteria.com
Meet some animals these school holidays!
School Holidays at the Australian Reptile Park
Are you looking for the PERFECT school holidays activity during the Summer? The Australian Reptile Park’s Kids 2 Keeper programs are guaranteed to entertain and educate kids who are itching to experience a behind-the-scenes look at a day in the life of a zookeeper! With tailored programs to suit different age groups including:
- Mini Kids 2 Keeper – Ages 3-6
- Little Kids 2 Keeper – Ages 7-12
- Big Kids 2 Keeper – Ages 13-18
- Inclusive Kids 2 Keeper – Ages 7-18 children living with a disability in need of a carer to accompany them
Don’t delay in booking – these tours sell out!
- When: Friday 2 December – Thursday 25 January
- Address: Australian Reptile Park, Somersby, Central Coast (30 minute’s drive from Hornsby)
- Suited for: 3-18 years
- Cost: Mini Kids 2 Keeper – $66.99 | Little Kids 2 Keeper – $99.99 | Big Kids 2 Keeper – $144.99 | Inclusive Kids 2 Keeper – $120 (includes carer)
- Book: Online
- Website: reptilepark.com.au
Fun attractions in Sydney these Summer School Holidays
You are invited to celebrate Christmas at Inflatable World Dural’s Special Christmas Sessions. Sessions are two hours long, jump as much as you want and enjoy the festive spirit with visits from Santa and loads of extra Christmas fun! Prebook only online, places are limited.
- Where: The Centre, 1 Pellitt Lane, Dural
- When: Christmas Sessions: Monday 18 & Tuesday 19 December (Pre-book)
Regular Opening: Saturday 6 January – Monday 29 January
Closed Friday 26 January
- Suited for: 4-12 years
- Costs: 2-hour Pass: $14 for kids 4 and under | $20 for kids 5 and over
- Website: inflatableworldoz.com.au
Keeping the kids entertained over the school holidays is never an easy task. Good luck in your search for fabulous school holiday activities on Sydney’s North Shore – we hope this guide has helped!