In the lead up to Mother’s Day 2018, we’re on a mission to get mums in front of the camera and in photos with their children… with our Images of Motherhood campaign. We asked the admin team of the NSM Facebook group to share their favourite image (and why!), to help inspire our members to share theirs too.
Thanks to Henny, Michelle and Laura for searching through their photo libraries to find that special image that captures a treasured moment in their motherhood.
‘For any mums, the birth of their first child is life-changing. The lead up to the birth is often filled with great anticipation. I had booked for antenatal classes. We were going through baby names each night. We spent weekends going to baby stores comparing strollers as if our life depended on it. But at 29 weeks, when I was out at dinner, my water broke, and all plans went out the window. I didn’t even have a hospital bag packed, let alone any semblance of a birth plan. Heck, I was only a quarter of the way through the birthing book! We hadn’t bought the essentials like car seat and a cot. We were completely unprepared and in shock as we rushed to the hospital. Despite bed rest in hospital and medical efforts to stop me going into labour, my son was born very early.
As very premature babies are unable to breastfeed, I had to express milk round-the-clock and spent hours pumping and labelling milk in containers to deliver to the hospital in eskies in the mornings. This photo captures my favourite time of the day, when I got to have skin-to-skin contact with my baby who was otherwise in an incubator. He was so warm and soft that I would inevitably fall asleep with him on my chest. Many mums will be able to relate when I describe that feeling as one of pure love… and pure exhaustion too!
I chose this photo because I think it is a wonderful tribute to all mums. Things don’t always go to plan. And life throws a lot of curve balls. But us mums are warriors. We do whatever it takes – even when sleep deprived! I love this photo because it reminds me of what motherhood is all about: selfless love.’ – Henny
‘Being a Mum of three gorgeous boys brings so much love and joy to my heart.. this photograph was a last minute impromptu pic taken at my youngest’s 2nd birthday last month. It may not be the “staged perfect photo” but it shows my love and happiness for our 3 miracles. Happiness is being able to share my life with these 3 busy boy and remembering to laugh every day with them I love being a Mum feel very privileged to be blessed with boys.’ – Michelle
‘Almost three years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer and was scheduled for surgery, followed by chemo. I wanted to get some professional photos taken before I lost my hair so I had some lovely memories to look back on before everything changed. Plus my hair was the longest it had ever been! Four days after this photo was taken I had a double mastectomy and wasn’t able to hug my boys for nearly 5 weeks. It’s quite emotive for me to look back on. I make sure I squeeze them extra tight these days!’ – Laura
Now it’s YOUR turn!
We’re calling upon North Shore Mums to go through their photo libraries and to share their favourite photo of themselves with their children.
It doesn’t need to be a professional photo, just something that you look back on with fond memories and it makes you smile – whether it’s holding your baby for the first time, enjoying some beach time on a family holiday, that first day of school or something a little bit more candid. It can be beautiful, it can be funny… it can be posed, or it can be ‘real’. Find that special pic that captures a moment of your motherhood!
The best 10 Images of Motherhood will each receive a Family Pass to Featherdale Wildlife Park – so that they can create some more super special memories with the family.
Plus the ultimate best photo, as determined by the voters of North Shore Mums, will win Sydney’s Ultimate VIP Wildlife Experience at Featherdale for up to 6 people, worth $650. The experience includes:
- Exclusive 90 minute zoo keeper guided tour
- Personal Koala Encounter including Digital Photo package
- Behind the scenes tour of the Reptilian Pavilion and Joey Nursery
- Hand feed Kangaroos, Wallabies & Pademelons
- Featherdale souvenir gift book and carry bag
How to enter
Simply choose your favourite photo of you with your children that encapsulates motherhood, and enter via one of the following ways:
- NSM Website – Fill in the online form below
- Your personal Facebook profile – Upload your favourite photo to your personal Facebook page. Make sure the privacy setting is set to ‘public’ (so we can see it) and include the hashtag #northshoremums in your comment
- Your personal Instagram account – Upload your favourite photo (with a short description about why you chose it) to your Instagram account. Tag @northshoremums in the photo
- NSM Facebook page or group – Upload a photo to the dedicated post on the North Shore Mums Facebook page or North Shore Mums Facebook group (with a short description about why you chose it)
But hurry, entries close midnight on Sunday 29 April 2018.
Fill in the form below to enter:
Terms & Conditions: North Shore Mums: ‘Images of Motherhood’ Mother’s Day Photo Competition 2018
- Entry is open to residents of Sydney (metro area), Australia. Employees of North Shore Mums and their families are ineligible to enter.
- Round One of the promotion commences at 6.00pm AEST on 12/04/18 and concludes at 23:59pm AEST on 29/04/18 (the “Promotion Period”). Entrants can submit their favourite photo of themselves with their children via the following ways:
- Your personal Facebook profile – Upload a photo of your child holding the sign on their first day to your personal Facebook page. Make sure the privacy setting is set to ‘public’ (so we can see it) and include the hashtag #northshoremums in your comment
- Your personal Instagram account – Upload a photo of your child holding the sign on their first day to your Instagram account. Tag @northshoremums in the photo
- NSM Facebook page or group – Upload a photo to the dedicated post on the North Shore Mums Facebook page or North Shore Mums Facebook group OR
- Website – Upload your photo via the online form on northshoremums.com.au
- The promotion is a game of skill. Chance plays no part in determining the winners. Entries will be judged individually. The best 10 entries, as determined by the judges, will be shortlisted for Round Two.
- Round Two on the promotion commences 7.00pm AEST on Tuesday 01/05/18 and concludes at 23:59pm AEDST on Friday 11/05/18. The 10 shortlisted photos will be published on the NSM website, and website visitors can vote for their favourite photo.
- The promotion is a game of skill. Chance plays no part in determining the winners. Entries will be judged individually. The best 10 entries, as determined by the judges, will be the finalists
- Prize Details: The major prize winner, as determined by online votes, will receive the Ultimate VIP Wildlife Experience at Featherdale for up to 6 people, worth $650. The ten finalists will each receive a Family Pass (2 adults, 2 children) to Featherdale Wildlife Park worth $88. Total prize value is $1530.
- The winner will be announced on Sunday 13/05/18 on the North Shore Mums Facebook group, page and on the NSM website, and notified via email and/or phone.
- By entering this competition, participants are giving North Shore Mums permission to publish their photo on the North Shore Mums website (northshoremums.com.au) and associated Facebook page and group, for voting and promotional purposes.
- Prizes are not transferable and not redeemable for cash. The Promoter’s decision is final and binding – no correspondence will be entered into. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for late, lost or misdirected entries or other communications. If for some reason, the winner does not accept the prize at the time stipulated by the Provider, the prize will be forfeited.
- New subscriber personal information will be collected by or on behalf of the Promoter to enable it to administer the Promotion. Persons may contact the Promoter by post at PO Box 439 Lane Cove 1595 or by emailing [email protected] to request access to, or corrections of, any of their collected personal information that is held by the Promoter.
- The ‘Promoter’ is Chappell Publishing Pty Ltd, trading as North Shore Mums (ABN 86611623851) of PO Box 439 Lane Cove NSW 1595.