Want to organise a night out with the girls? Or maybe have a fun date with hubby? If you’re looking for the best bars or pubs that have easy access to the North Shore train line in Sydney, we’ve got you covered! Some have just sprung up over the last few years, others have had a major renovation that beg a revisit, whilst others have been around for a while and provide the ‘classic’ pub experience.
- Amphora Wine Bar, Milsons Point
- Commodore Hotel, McMahon’s Point
- The Treehouse, North Sydney
- The Greenwood, North Sydney
- Gilroys Hotel, St Leonards
- Small Bar, Crows Nest
- The Avenue, Chatswood
- The Cockatoo Bar, Gordon
- Kiplings Garage Bar, Turramurra
- Level One Lounge, Hornsby
1. Amphora Wine Bar
Amphora Wine Bar will be reopening in early 2022. At Amphora, you’ll be able to enjoy spectacular water views across Sydney Harbour whilst sampling an extensive wine list. Located at Luna Park next to the majestic Sydney Harbour Bridge, Amphora is close to public transport.
- Address: 1 Olympic Drive, Milsons Point
- Nearby train station: Milsons Point, 7 minutes walk
- Phone: 9033 7670
- Website: Amphora Wine Bar
2. Commodore Hotel, McMahons Point
Set amongst the trees above Blues Point Road, The Commodore is the perfect spot for a glass of wine, cocktail and even lunch or dinner – the award-winning bistro offers a variety of delicious dishes, all of which are made from fresh, locally sourced ingredients. It’s definitely not your average pub fare! It’s a short (downhill) walk from North Sydney station, but feels a million miles from hustle and bustle of the North Sydney CBD.
- Address: 206 Blues Point Road, McMahons Point
- Nearby train station: North Sydney, 5 minutes walk
- Phone: (02) 9922 4331
- Website: Commodore Hotel
3. The Treehouse, North Sydney
The Treehouse restaurant and bar offers a distinctly premium experience. The contemporary Australian menu, classically driven cocktail list and extensive wine selection is perfect for a night out.
- Address: 60 Miller Street, North Sydney
- Nearby train station: North Sydney, 4 minutes walk
- Phone: (02) 8458 8980
- Website: The Treehouse Hotel
4. The Greenwood, North Sydney
Sydney institution The Greenwood Hotel was built in 1878, originally as a church and later also used as a school. In 1992 it was turned into a pub, and quickly became one of the North Shore’s most popular venues. It features four lively bars and open courtyards, serving good, honest pub food, a beautiful wine list, smashing cocktails and icy cold beers.
- Address: 36 Blue Street, North Sydney
- Nearby train station: North Sydney, 1 minutes walk
- Phone: (02) 9964 9477
- Website: Greenwood Hotel
5. Gilroys Hotel, St Leonards
*Currently closed for renovations and due to reopen in 2022*
If you prefer a more traditional pub than a modern bar, Gilroys Hotel is super close to the station for a few sneaky drinks. Behind its quaint façade you’ll find an eclectic and charming local neighbourhood pub. With a vast selection of premium and craft beers and delicious bistro food, there’s something to tickle everyone’s fancy.
- Address: 75 Christie Street, St Leonards
- Nearby train station: St Leonards, 2 minutes walk
- Phone: (02) 9439 2213
- Website: Gilroys Hotel
6. Small Bar, Crows Nest
Nestled along the restaurant strip of Willoughby Road, Small Bar is the perfect spot for an after work drink, refresher before (or after) dinner or even a great spot to host a party! Small Bar are part of a new breed of bars making Sydney awesome (and also have bars in the city and Kirribilli). It’s the perfect vibe of casual meets sophistication.
- Address: 85 Willoughby Road, Crows Nest
- Nearby train station: St Leonards, 9 minutes walk
- Phone: (02) 8084 5118
- Website: Small Bar
7. The Avenue Bar & Kitchen, Chatswood
It doesn’t get more convenient than being literally opposite Chatswood station! The Avenue offers European influenced dishes with a local twist. Delicious dishes, mouth watering share plates and nibbles will complement your favourite tipple.
- Address: 465 Victoria Avenue, Chatswood
- Nearby train station: Chatswood, 1 minute walk
- Phone: (02) 9423 2888
- Website: The Avenue
8. The Cockatoo Bar, Gordon
Yay, something on the upper north shore! After the recent closure of Blackout Bar in Lindfield, Match Smoke House in Roseville, and now Cellar 8 in Pymble, it’s nice to see more bars cropping up. We need more cool bars on the UNS, but we also need to support them. Explore the world of Cantonese and Chinese cuisines with fresh and high-quality food – even better, you can enjoy happy hour drinks from 4pm-7pm everyday.
- Address: Shop 8-9 | Ground Floor | GPO Building | 741 Pacific Highway, Gordon 2072
- Nearby train station: Gordon, 1 minute walk
- Phone: (02) 9499 8698
- Website: The Cockatoo Bar
9. Kipling’s Garage Bar, Turramurra
Kipling’s Garage Bar is buzzing every night of the week, and is the perfect spot for a date night with hubby or catch up with the girls. It’s one of the best bars on North Shore. The once 1920’s garage now features a chic industrial setting serving up elegant, rustic, ‘street food’ tapas menu by Chef Thiago Menezes. The casual neighbourhood spot serves classic and modern spirits, craft beers, ciders alongside a wine list featuring vintages and varieties from Australia, Europe and Latin America.
- Address: 2 Eastern Road, Turramurra
- Nearby train station: Turramurra, 2 minutes walk
- Phone: (02) 9440 4088
- Website: Kipling’s Garage Bar
10. Level One Lounge, Hornsby
Despite being located in an RSL Club, you could be forgiven for thinking your in a swanky inner-city bar at Level One Lounge. Luckily, the drink prices are much more affordable! It’s one of the best bars on North Shore. At the bar, choose from the international wine list, an array of boutique and craft beers on tap or a cocktail. The food menu offers a selection of tapas to share and pizza. Great for an easy night out!
- Address: Hornsby RSL, 4 High Street, Hornsby
- Nearby train station: Hornsby, 3 minutes walk
- Phone: (02) 9477 7777
- Website: Level One Lounge