The Winter school holidays are almost here, and with restrictions easing across NSW it’s time to start planning what to do with the kids. Our Winter School Holiday Guide features holiday programs, performing arts, public speaking, music, tennis, robotics, multi-sports and attractions! There are even online options if you prefer to keep the kids home, but want them entertained. Enjoy our round up of some great activities for kids these Winter School Holidays on Sydney’s North Shore.
So have a scroll down the list of events below, and click the Quicklink to go directly to the listing with all the event details!
- Acting & Communication Academy – Performing arts, Online
- Australian Reptile Park – Family day out, Somersby (30 mins north of Wahroonga)
- BridgeClimb – The Rocks
- Grand Slam Tennis – Tennis Camps, Cammeray & Naremburn
- Inspire Tennis & Sports Camps – Killara, Roseville & Terrey Hills
- Marian St Theatre for Young People – Online & Killara
- Motiv8sports – Multi-sports camps
- Queenwood Tennis Centre – Oxford Falls
- Simply Fun – Robotics, sports, arts, dance, drama and more, Chatswood
- Speaking Schools Australiasia – Public Speaking, Online
- Willoughby Symphony Virtual Series – Music, Online
Acting & Communication Academy (Online)
The Acting and Communication Academy is a place to grow and discover excellence in performing, presenting and communicating. They focus on giving their students an edge, to encourage confidence in each student’s unique abilities and the qualities that set them apart from the rest. They are offering two online classes these Winter holidays:
Voice Over Artist: In this intensive workshop, Silver Screen Troupers will unlock their expressive voice as we discover the skill of voice over. Students will explore character voice and the building blocks of great voice production. This is an excellent opportunity to develop your vocal skills in a fun and practical way!
Stage to Screen Superstars: Explore the nuances of performing for stage versus screen. This workshop will use popular scenes and monologues to explore these performance styles.
- When: Voice Over Artists: 14 & 15 July, 10am-11.30am | Stage to Screen Superstars: 14, 15, 16 July, 1:30pm to 3pm each day
- Where: Online
- Suited for: 8+ years
- Cost: From $97
- How to book: 0434 588 002 or email [email protected], or online
- Website: actingandcommunication.sydney
Marian St Theatre for Young People (Online and Killara)
NSM offer: 10% off if you book before 21 June with the discount NSM1020
Do your kids need creativity and excitement? Drama is a great way to build confidence, performance skills and work with other young people to tell stories. Online Drama Workshops are live and interactive with a small class. They are also currently planning to run in-person drama workshops as well.
Workshops include: Podcasting and Voiceover, Upload THIS! YouTube Making, Make a Play, Voice and Confidence, Dr Victoria’s Superhero Bootcamp, Cry Havoc! Shakespeare, and Accessible Drama.
Speaking Schools Australasia (Online)
Looking for an engaging and educational program with the option of choosing either an online or face-to-face experience these school holidays?
Speaking Schools Australasia will be running fun, live, online programs, and a limited number of face-to face programs to help students build their confidence in debating and public speaking over the winter break.
Come and join either our four-day online workshops, or head over to Southern Cross Vocational College, Burwood and choose one of our two or three-day workshops.
- When: Monday 6 July – Friday 17 July
- Time: 9:30am – 1:00pm (online) & Staggered start times between 8:45am-3:15pm (face-to-face)
- Where: Online & Southern Cross Vocational College, Burwood
- Suited for: Year 1 – Year 9
- Cost: From $180 for four days
- How to book: online, or email [email protected]
- Website: speakingschools.com.au
Willoughby Symphony Virtual Children’s Performances
Willoughby Symphony’s Friday Facebook series presents two special performances for children these winter school holidays on Friday afternoons.
Celebrate Beethoven’s 250th birthday with a fun virtual orchestra performance of his famous Fifth Symphony by over 30 musicians with narration by popular conductor George Ellis. Learn about the different instruments of the orchestra, what roles they play, their musical languages and how they come together to create something magical.
Discover the rich variety of classical music as a string quartet performs the familiar melody of Mary Has a Little Lamb in styles of composers throughout history.
- When: Friday 3 July, 3pm | Friday 10 July, 3pm
- Where: Online
- Suited for: 0-12 years
- Cost: Free
- Website: facebook.com/WilloughbySymphony
Australian Reptile Park, Somersby
The wonderful Australian Reptile Park is open again, just in time for the winter school holidays. Yay! Be sure to experience the great outdoors and native wildlife at the Australian Reptile Park! Get in touch with nature and enjoy a little escape by spending time with family in the beautiful bushland setting. The Australian Reptile Park is the best family day out, where kids can learn so much about the different animals, as well as the park’s venom program producing antivenoms that save human snake bite and spider bite victims.
It’s just a 30 minute drive up the M1 from Wahroonga, and makes a fun and memorable day out. Read our recent review!
- When: 4-19 July
- Where: Australian Reptile Park, Somersby, NSW
- Suited for: All
- Cost: Children (aged 3-15) $21, Adults $39, Family pass (2 AD & 2 CH) $105, Family pass (1 AD & 2 CH) $75, Extra child on family pass $15, Child aged 2 & under FREE, Senior (age 60+) $29
- Website: reptilepark.com.au
Offer: Save 50% off standard kids and 35% off standard adults prices
For some, a BridgeClimb is that bucket-list item you’ve always wanted to do. You’ll get around to it one day? Well, if these times have taught us anything it’s that there really is no better time to tick off one of Sydney’s greatest experiences, whilst getting outdoors, reconnecting with loved ones and creating lasting memories. These winter holidays, take advantage of the incredible savings that BridgeClimb is offering!
BridgeClimb is operating as a COVID Safe place to visit and work. All Climbs will travel in small, physically distanced groups, and the entirety of BridgeClimb premises will operate with increased cleaning schedules, including ongoing sanitisation completed within the Climb Base, and throughout climber’s pre and post-climb journey.
So book this incredible experience and uncover the beauty, history and views our amazing city has to offer.
- When: 27 June – 19 July 2020, between 10am and 3pm
- Where: BridgeClimb, The Rocks
- Suited for: 8+ years
- Cost: Children (8-15 years) $99* | Adults $198 (This is a saving of over 35% off standard adults, and over 50% off standard kids, day climb prices)
- Website: www.bridgeclimb.com
Grand Slam Tennis (Cammeray & Naremburn)
Grand Slam Tennis offers Hot Shots Tennis and Multisports winter school holiday camps packed with tennis activities and outdoor play in a fun and safe learning environment. It’s a great way for kids to concentrate on and improve their tennis and fundamental movement skills. It’s suitable for all ages and standards.
- When: Monday 29 June to Wednesday 1 July| Monday 6 July – Friday 10 July | Monday 13 July – Friday 17 July
- Where: Cammeray Tennis Club: Ernest St &, Park Ave, Cammeray | Wheatleigh St Tennis Centre: 11 Wheatleigh St, Naremburn
- Suited for: 4-12 years
- Cost: 8-9am Before Camp Drop Off $15, 9am-12pm Half Day Camp $55, 9am-3pm Full Day Camp $85, 3-5pm After Camp Care $30
- Book: email [email protected] or online
- Website: grandslamtennis.com.au
Inspire Tennis & Sports Camps (Killara, Roseville, Terrey Hills)
North Shore Mums Offer: Discounted weekly booking and 5% sibling discount
Inspire Tennis’ School Holiday Programs are fun, exciting and provide a learning pathway for every child. School holiday camps are held in a variety of convenient tennis club locations on the North Shore. It’s a brilliant way for kids to spend over 20 hours each week, improving their tennis skills. There is also flexibility with casual bookings, plus before & after care. The programs are held every week of the holiday period rain, hail or shine!
- When: Monday 29 June to Monday 20 July | Full Day 9:30am-3pm, Half Day 9:30am – 12:30pm | Before care from 7:30am and After care till 6pm available at extra cost.
- Where: Killara (Killara Lawn Tennis Club) | Roseville (Kooroora Tennis Club) | Terrey Hills (Terrey Hills Tennis Club)
- Suited for: 3-15 years
- Cost: $40-60 per day
- Book: Online, email [email protected] or call 94981902
- Website: inspiretennis.com.au
Queenwood Tennis Centre (Oxford Falls)
NSM Offer: for all bookings of two days or more, enjoy one free adult clinic session valued at $30.
Queenwood Tennis Camps are suitable for beginner/intermediate level children and are a great way for kids to get active, meet new friends, and build on their tennis and life skills. There is something for everyone with our variety of fun and interactive games and activities. Choose from whole day, half day or full week registrations.
Discounts are available for siblings, and there is return transport available from Queenwood Junior School in Mosman. Early drop-off and late pick-up available (at extra charge).
Vacation Care & Holiday Programs
Simply Fun: Robotics, Sports, Arts, Dance, Drama and more! (Chatswood)
North Shore Mums Offer: Book by 22 June for 10% off
These winter school holidays, keep your child entertained all holiday long with their exciting educational camp! Every day is jam-packed with awesome classes and exciting activities, so your kids get to try something new, improve their skills, and have an amazing time with their friends all at once. Simply Fun has something to suit every child’s interests; dance, drama, STEM, ninja, art and more. Choose from half days, single days or full weeks. Morning tea and afternoon tea is provided, but you must pack a nut-free lunch and water bottle. Timetable available on their website.
- When: Monday 6 July to Friday 10 July | Monday 13 July to Friday 17 July
- Where: Lot 14, Level 1, 445 Victoria Ave, Chatswood
- Suited for: 4.5-11 years
- Cost: 10% Early bird special (until 22 June), $58 for a half day (Morning: 9am – 12pm; Afternoon: 1pm – 4pm; $98 for a full day (9am – 4pm). You can also redeem your Creative Kids Voucher and/or Active Kids Voucher.
- Book: 0468 832 866 or email [email protected]
- Website: simplyfun.com.au
Motiv8sports: Multi-sport day camps
Movit8sports are finalising their Winter Holiday Program to meet Covid-19 restrictions. Click here to go to their website and register for updates. We’ll also update this guide when the events are finalised!