Ever wondered how a personal styling session works? Professional fashion consultant and stylist Shannon Johnson from Living For Style shows how you can transform your wardrobe- and your life – more simply than you think. Here’s a rundown of what a personal stylist does, and how to know if a stylist is for you!
After having my first little boy, I realised that getting dressed for every day activities or a special night out was no longer an easy task. My body shape was different – but as well as that, my priorities were different too. Having my little boy changed my life for the better, but I also felt that I had lost my “mojo”. This realisation was the turning point for me and it inspired me to want to help other mums going through the same stage in life.
I wanted to make getting dressed ‘easy’ for others so they could spend much needed time having fun with their family, so I founded Living for Style in 2012 and it has been so rewarding helping mums like me to get their style back! One of the most rewarding experiences was having a client cry from joy when I found her the perfect black pants. She had never been able to find pants that suited her body shape and it was such a relief for her.
About 98% of my clients have never used a stylist before and they all have lots of questions regarding the services offered. Most stylists offer a Wardrobe Consultation and Personal Shopping Trip so I thought I would list most of the questions that I have had over the years to help you work out if a stylist is for you.
1. What is a Wardrobe Consultation?
Throughout the wardrobe consultation a stylist should:
- Review your existing wardrobe and advise what to keep or give away
- Advise what styles suit your individual body shape
- Create a Shopping List by establishing what is lacking in your wardrobe
- Create stylish outfit options for you to recreate
2. How do I prepare for a Wardrobe Consultation?
- To save time on the day, lay out your shoes and bags near your wardrobe, and clear your bed so the stylist has room to lay clothes out
- Be prepared to go through all your clothes- even you daggy ‘round the house’ clothes that everybody has 😉
- There is no need to pull out everything before the stylist arrives
3. How long should I allow for the Wardrobe Consultation?
- Allow at least 2 hours for the wardrobe consultation
- The Wardrobe Consultation and Personal Shopping Trip are on separate days.
4. What is a Personal Shopping Trip?
A Personal Shopping Trip is a fun shopping experience over 2-4 hours where you will be guided to styles and stores that suit you and your budget. A personal shopping can one-on-one with your stylist or in pairs or groups, and the service is available to men and women.
A stylist will:
- Teach you how to mix & match
- Offer direct & honest style advice
- Give you confidence to dress
- Give you tips to avoiding impulse buying
- Make your purchasing decisions easy
5. What should I wear?
- Skin colour underwear
- Top/ bottom as opposed to a dress
- Comfy shoes that are easy to take on and off
6. How much will I need to budget for clothes?
It’s up to you! Budgets are tailored for each client. I have had clients spend from $200 – $15,000! This is something that is worked out at before we meet.