Hi North Shore Mums, and welcome to the brand-spanking new North Shore Mums website! I’m so excited to finally ‘unveil’ this project that I have been working on for the last few months.
Ever since I launched the Facebook group in June 2012, I always had a niggling suspicion that I may want to create a website one day. A few days after creating the group, I purchased the northshoremums.com.au domain, but it has been sitting empty for just over a year while I figured out what the website was going to do.
I have never wanted to produce a website that tried to emulate the Facebook group, by making it a forum. Facebook is such an incredibly strong force now, and chatting with others in the Facebook group is immediate and completely integrated with everyday life. However the group has become so busy, that posts quickly get lost down the page, and there is no way of categorising information or being able to return to it at a later date. I wanted to create a website that sourced its content primarily from the Facebook group (how else would we know what subjects are hot, and what issues are important?), but in a more structured and organised way.
And, voila! Here it is. I thought I’d just give you a quick overview of all the sections of the website, and briefly explain the rationale behind them.
- Lifestyle & Parenting – These two sections are all written ‘by North Shore Mums, for North Shore Mums’. We have so many amazing women in our Facebook group, so it’s fantastic for them to share their experiences and knowledge with us. We welcome articles from all mums living on the North Shore, so if you would like to become a Contributor for this website, then please click here to tell us about any ideas you have.
- What’s On – This section aims to list all the events happening on the North Shore aimed at families, parents and children. So everything from markets, fairs and shows, to school open days, playgroups and immunisation clinics. If you know about an event that you think would be relevant, please click here to tell us the details.
- Recipe Share – Posts seeking recipe inspiration are very popular in the Facebook group! There are always so many good suggestions for delicious dishes, but no way of organising them. So we’ve added Recipe Share section, where you can upload your favourite recipes – you just need to type in the ingredients, method and upload a pic of your creation. This section is completely empty at the moment (apart from a couple of recipes that I have added), so please spare ten minutes to add your favourite recipe!
- Business Directory – The North Shore Mums Business Directory has been created to help North Shore Mums support other mumpreneurs, as well as find local family-friendly businesses and services. If you run a local business and would like to get exposure to North Shore Mums, you can list your business here.
Finally, I’d just like to do say ‘thank you’ to the following people:
- Larissa Mac – a lovely North Shore Mum and also a very experiencedWordpress Web Designer. She has been an amazing support in guiding me in the right direction to build this site, and helping me sort out all the technical glitches that are way over my head! If you ever need a website designed, definitely give Larissa a call or check out her website here.
- Contributors – to all the North Shore Mums who have offered to become Contributors for the website. We have such an amazing group of intelligent, witty and talented women, who are writing articles on all sorts of stuff. Thank you for taking the time to write such interesting and relevant articles for the site.
- Facebook Group Admin – and a huge thank you to the ladies who help moderate the facebook group. The Admin Girls generously girls donate their time to ensure the group remains a positive space to chat and meet other local mums. Thank you to (in alphabetical order): Dinamara Stackevicius Bond, Henny Stier, Josy Adames, Karina Gorfin, Michelle Key, Nadeane John, Rach McKenny, Sarah Collison and Stephanie Dolman.
And of course, to all the fabulous North Shore Mums who have provided me with hours and hours of reading entertainment, as well as guiding me through my first year living on the North Shore. I have made so many ‘big’ decisions based on advice and recommendations from mums in the group.
Thanks again for making North Shore Mums what it is today, and I hope you enjoy the next chapter…