The summer school holidays are almost here, so it’s time to start planning! If you’re looking for some fun things for your kids to do these summer holidays, you’ve come to the right place! This is our second instalment of the Essential Guide to Summer Holidays, which is packed with even more options for entertaining, amusing and even educating your kids these holidays. So scroll down, and see what appeals for your kids!
- Action Dance
- Bop till you Drop
- CIY. Club Holiday Camps
- Carlile Swimming
- CRU Camps
- Humpty Sports
- Inspire Tennis & Sports Holiday Camps
- Jim Jam Camp
- Kids Circle
- Kids Up Front Drama
- Lah Lah’s Stripy Christmas Show
- Love n Deuce Tennis Holiday Camps
- Puppeteria Theatre
- St Ives Shopping Village
- Sydney Speaking School
- Tanya’s Travelling Tadpoles
- The Newport & The Collaroy
- Turramurra Learn to Swim
Artnest (St Ives Chase)
Give your kids the inspiration of working in a real Potter’s studio! Small class sizes and lots of individual attention allow creativity to flourish. Projects will include fun sculptural forms and creative Pottery. Children will learn the simple techniques of ceramic art to make various themed projects.
- When: 6-8 January, 13-15 January, 17 January, 10am to 2pm
- Suited for: 7-16 years
- Cost: $30 per hour
- Website: artnestceramics.com
Action Dance Junior January Workshops
North Shore Mums Offer: Mention North Shore Mums when booking, and you’ll get a FREE 1-week Class Pass to try any dance classes in Term 1.
Are you looking for a way to keep your child entertained and active during the school holidays? Join Action Dance for three days of party themed dancing, activities and fun! Children of all ages and abilities can thrive under the care and supervision of dance industry professionals. No previous dance experience needed.
- When: Tuesday 21 January – Thursday 23 January, 9am-3pm
- Tuesday 21 January – Neon Dance Party: Enter the ultimate neon disco party with dance styles including Jazz, Tap and Acrobatics.
- Wednesday 22 January – Ninja Obstacle Party: Refine your ninja skills in acrobatics, jazz, drama and contemporary.
- Thursday 23 January – Beach Party: Dive into the ocean with dance classes like Hip Hop, Ballet and Student Choreography. Get wet with our water games!
- Where: Action Dance Academy Studio, 5A Pioneer Avenue Thornleigh
- Suited for: Kindy – Year 6 students
- Cost: $81 for 1 day, $216 for 3 days. Active & Creative Kids Vouchers accepted! Book now
- More details
Jam Camp with Jim Jam Music, Asquith
North Shore Mums Offer: Early Bird rate of $210 for three days available until 10 January. Limited spaces so get in quick. Sibling discount: 10% discount for 2nd and subsequent siblings
Drum Roll! Jim Jam Music is so excited to be holding their first ever ‘Jam Camp’ these January School Holidays. Come on a magical journey into the world of Mary Poppins. There’s the most amazing program planned – three fun-filled days of singing, dancing, drama, drumming, ukulele playing, art, games and so much more!
Children will also learn stage craft, do set design and production – all the elements needed to ‘put on a show’! Jam Camp will be run by specialist teachers and will culminate in a fabulous performance for family and friends on the last day of camp. It’s going to be ‘Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!’
- When: Wednesday 15 January – Friday 17 January
- Time: 9am-3pm with free extended care from 8am – 5.30pm each day
- Where: Asquith Church of Christ, 3 Amor Street, Asquith
- Cost: $240 for 3 days or $80 per day. Book before 10 January for $210 for 3 days! Creative Kids vouchers accepted
- Website: Jam Camp
Bop till you Drop Performing Arts Workshop (Lane Cove, Mosman, Castle Hill, Waverley)
North Shore Mums Offer: $20 off per child, use discount code (NSMN17). Offer applies to 2 day bookings only. Not available with any other offer, except the Creative Kids Voucher.
Vacation care programs with a difference! Bop till you Drop have been running these educational and fun programs for 16 years. The professional teachers will gently encourage and teach your child new skills in dancing, singing & acting, plus craft, cooking and science to break up the action packed day. There are six classes per day, each class runs for 45 minutes. This program is aimed at building self-esteem in your child. You will also get to see them perform in a concert and receive a certificate on the last day. You will be so impressed and proud of their achievements in such a short time.
- When & Where:
- Tuesday 14 & Wednesday 15 January –Mosman
- Wednesday 15 & Thursday 16 January – Castle Hill
- Tuesday 21 & Wednesday 22 January – Lane Cove
- Tuesday 14 & Wednesday 15 January – Waverley
- Time: 9am to 3.30pm (extended 8am – 5pm optional extra)
- Suited for: 5-12 years
- Cost: $65 per day (with NSMN17 $20 off discount), Siblings: $60 per day ($30 off, if booking two days)
Normal cost is $75 per day without discount code
- *NSMN17 offer applies to 2-day bookings only, not to be used with any other offer, except Creative Kids Voucher.
- You can redeem your $100 Creative Kids Voucher
- Enrol: Online, call 1300 13 03 13 or email [email protected]
- Website: boptillyoudrop.com.au
Kids Up Front Drama Academy (Castle Cove, Lindfield, North Sydney, Pymble, Epping, Manly, Leichhardt)
Every school holidays, Kids Up Front works with enthusiastic boys and girls to put on a fabulous Musical Show. These holidays, it’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’! The specialist tutors teach the kids how to sing, dance and act and in the process, help to build confidence but most of all have a lot of fun! The program culminates on the last day with a wonderful musical show for parents and friends to come and enjoy!
- Monday 6 – Friday 10 January
- Monday 13 – Friday 17 January
- Monday 20 – Friday 24 January
- Time: 9am-3pm (FREE extended hours 8am – 5.30pm optional extra)
- Where: Castle Cove, Lindfield, North Sydney, Pymble, Epping, Manly, Leichhardt
- Suited for: 5-13 years
- Cost: $385 for 5 days or $85 per day (min 2 days). Creative Kids Voucher accepted – $100 off
- Enrol: Online or email [email protected]
- Website: kidsupfront.com.au/holiday-camp-bookings
Public Speaking and Debating
Sydney Speaking School (North Sydney, Parramatta, Moore Park, Burwood)
Public speaking may seem scary, but it doesn’t have to be. Sydney Speaking School offers a range of public speaking and debating holiday programs that provide students with the confidence they need to succeed in a fun, engaging, and supportive environment. With small classes, plenty of opportunities to practice and a team of experienced and enthusiastic coaches who are passionate about bringing out the best in every child, these programs are perfect for the beginner or experienced speaker!
- 9-15 January: The King’s School, Parramatta
- 13-17 January: The Shore School, North Sydney
- 20-24 January: Sydney Boys High School, Moore Park
- 20-24 January: Southern Cross College, Burwood
- Time: 9am-3pm
- Suitable for: Years 1-9
- Cost: $200 for 2 days
- Book: speakingschools.com.au
CIY Club Holiday Camps (Hornsby PCYC)
North Shore Mums Offer: Keep your eyes out on Facebook for a giveaway competition between 15-20 December for a chance to win free entry to a January 2020 Hornsby PCYC event!
At CIY.Club, children train to be creators of technology. There is something for all ages (7-17) and various streams of exciting content for learners at all levels, from beginners to tech heads. All technology is supplied, with professional coach(es) at every session. Choose from camps in Website Design, Game Coding, 3D Printing & Design, Electronics and the NEW Minecraft Team Play!
- 6, 15, 21 January – Game Coding Camp
- 7, 16, 20 January – Minecraft Team play Camp
- 8 January – Website Design Camp
- 14 January – 3D Printing & Design Camp
- 22 January – Electronics Camp:
- Where: PCYC Hornsby
- Suitable for: 7-17 years
- Cost: $132. Creative kids voucher accepted – With a valid Creative kids voucher and just $32, your child could have 8 hours of fun experiencing 1 of 5 areas of our exciting Digital technology camps with highly trained coaches to guide them every step of the way.
- Website: ciy.club/holiday-camps
- Booking: Online
Humpty Sports Holiday Camps (Castle Cove)
Looking for some holiday fun for your little ones? Enrol them into Humpty Camp! This multi-sport holiday program is designed specifically for children 2.5 to 6 years and is run by energetic and professional staff. It offers a wonderful opportunity for children to develop their sporting and social skills and to increase their self confidence in a safe, caring and fun-filled environment. Theme days, craft activities and lots more make for a great time.
- Camp 1: 23-24 December 2019
- Camp 2: 6-10 January 2020
- Camp 3: 13-17 January 2020
- Camp 4: 20-24 January 2020
- Time: 9am-1pm or 9am-3pm. Drop off from 8.30am
- Where: Willis Park, 325a Eastern Valley Way, Castle Cove
- Suitable for: 2.5 – 6 years
- Camp 1 – Half Day (9am-1pm): $65/day, $130/2-day camp. Full Day (9am-3pm): $85/day, $170/2-day camp.
- Camps 2, 3 & 4 – Half Day (9am-1pm): $65/day, $285/5-day camp. Full Day (9am-3pm): $85/day, $365/5-day camp.
- Book: lovendeuce.com.au, call 9417 7888 or email
Inspire Tennis & Sports Holiday Camps (Killara, Roseville, Terrey Hills)
Inspire Tennis’ School Holiday Programs are fun, exciting and provide a learning pathway for every child. The school holiday camps are held in a variety of convenient tennis club locations on the North Shore. There’s Multisports, ANZ Tennis Hot Shots Only, High Performance Tennis Training Clinics and more. The School Holiday Programs are a brilliant way to spend over 20 hours per week improving kids tennis skills, or there is flexibility with casual bookings, plus before & after care. School Holiday Programs are held every week of the holiday periods rain, hail or shine!
- When: 4 December 2019 – 29 January 2020. 9 camps throughout the School Holidays including private school camps. Casual bookings & before and after care available from 7am- 6pm.
- Where: Killara, Roseville, Terrey Hills
- Suitable for: 2.5 – 15 years
- Cost: From $40/day
- Book: Enrol now
- More info: Killara, Roseville / Chatswood and Terrey Hills
Love’n Deuce Tennis Camp (St Leonards and Castle Cove)
- Camp 1: 16-20 December 2019 (Talus Street ONLY) (5 day camp)
- Camp 2: 13-17 January 2020 (Willis Park & Talus Street ) (5 day camp)
- Camp 3: 20-24 January 2020 (Willis Park & Talus Street) (5 day camp)
- Where: Talus Street, St Leonards (Red, Orange, Green & Yellow Ball/Top Gun); Willis Park, 325a Eastern Valley Way, Castle Cove (Red, Orange & Green Ball)
- Time: 9.30am – 3.30pm. Drop off from 8.30am and after camp care from $10/hour available 3.30pm – 6pm
- Suitable for: 5-17 years
- Cost: $85/day, $350/5-day camp
- Book: lovendeuce.com.au or call 9901 3144 (St Leonards) or 9417 7888 (Castle Cove)
Carlile Swimming (Castle Cove, Lane Cove West)
Carlile Swimming has more than 60 years of world renowned expertise in teaching children to swim well. The school holiday Swimvac is designed to boost confidence and consolidate skills through intensive tuition. It can provide significant results, especially for new swimmers or those needing to master specific skills. It’s a great daily dose of fun and fitness! The school holiday Swimvac is very popular, so get in quick to fast-track your child’s swimming skills this summer!
- When: 6-10 January, 13-17 January, 20-24 January
- Where: Castle Cove, Lane Cove West
- Suitable for: 3+ years old
- Cost: $94.30 (5 days)
- Book: Castle Cove 9417 2060 | Lane Cove West 9188 1027
- Website: carlile.com.au
Tanya’s Travelling Tadpoles (all areas of Sydney in your own pool)
North Shore Mums Offer: mention North Shore Mums and receive a free pair of googles
Tanya’s Travelling Tadpoles offers holiday intensive accelerator blocks of swimming classes each week of the summer school holidays in your own pool. Holiday swimming programs comprise one or more weeks of lessons each day in your pool. Cost is dependent on number of participants (up to 4 per half hour) – 30 minute classes cost $60 (split between participants).
- Greater continuity in the learning process
- Frequent reinforcement helps kids retain key concepts
- The outdoor environment is ideal for swimming at this time of year
- It is a fun activity for the holidays and kids often have more energy when there aren’t the term time distractions around!
- When: December & January, 8am to 6pm
- Where: Your own pool
- Suitable for: 2-12 years
- Cost: $60 for 30 minute class, $90 for 45 minutes, $100 for 60 minutes. Cost can be split between participants
- Book: 0402 002 902 or [email protected]
- Website: tanyastadpoles.com.au
Turramurra Learn to Swim
Want to see your child make real progress with their swimming in just one week? Then book them in for an intensive five-day swimming course with Turramurra Learn To Swim. Saturday lessons will be available in January including Water Babies and there will be morning and afternoon lessons available in all three weeks from Monday to Friday. The 30-minute lessons are structured according to ability and age to ensure children have the best learning environment while also having fun! With only one class at a time, distractions are reduced. A comfortable air-conditioned area is provided for parents and the pool is indoors and heated to 33C.
- Week 1: Monday 6 – Friday 10 January (5 days) – AM & PM classes
- Week 2: Monday 13 – Friday 17 January (5 days) – AM & PM classes
- Week 3: Monday 20 – Friday 24 January (5 days) – AM & PM classes
- Saturdays in January: 4, 11, 18 & 25 January 2020 (You need to book at least 3 out of 4 Saturdays)
- Water Baby classes also available on Saturdays in January
- Where: 48 Tennyson Ave, Turramurra
- Suitable for: 3-11 years
- Cost: $112.50 (5 days)
- Book: Call (02) 9489 4771 or email [email protected]
- Website: turramurralearntoswim.com.au
CRU Camps – Amazing School Holiday Experiences (Northern Sydney and surrounds)
Give your child a fantastic holiday experience on a CRU® Camp this summer! There’s 29 awesome camp adventures to choose from, for children in Years K-12. From sailing to horse riding, surfing to BMX riding, sports to Year 12 study.
Day Camps (Yrs K-6): Campers enjoy fun-filled days on camp and return home at the end of each day to sleep in the comfort of their own beds. At 5 different locations around Sydney.
Activity Camps (Yrs 3-12): 21x action-packed residential camps with loads of exciting outdoor and indoor activities: sailing, canoeing, abseiling, high ropes, beach, horse riding, tubing, water skiing, putt-putt golf, surfing, water slides, laser tag, gaming, campfires, archery, robotics, coding, bush walks, BMX riding, paint wars, rafting and cave exploration.
Study Camps (Yr 12): 2x Study Camps to help you kickstart 2020 and your Year 12 prep.
With 90 years of experience, CRU Camps welcome around 4,000 campers a year on over 80 camps in NSW. On a CRU Camp, your child will grow in self-confidence, make new friends and participate in loads of exciting outdoor activities in a safe, fun and caring environment. They will also be provided with the opportunity to explore the Christian faith. The exceptional camp leaders care for campers 24 hours a day, are trained in child protection procedures, reference checked and screened in accordance with government legislation, and are brilliant role models.
- When: Monday 9 December 2019 – Saturday 25 January 2020
- Where: Pennant Hills, Terrey Hills, Galston, Collaroy and Central Coast (transport provided from North Parramatta)
- Suitable for: K-12
- Cost: Day Camps start from $45/day, Residential Camps start from $99/night
- Website: crucamps.com.au
Kids Circle: Baking, Arts, Science, Sports, Dance (Chatswood). Special edition in Spanish (Gordon)
North Shore Mums Offer: Early bird rates until 15 December
Kids Circle has something for all tastes and interests! Offering a range of different and fun workshops every day to help unleash kids’ creativity whilst making friends during the school holidays! 2 workshops a day! Pick and choose, you can book from 1 workshop (half-day) to a full week if you wish! Save $100, Creative Kids voucher is redeemable at Kids Circle!
At Chatswood, workshops include Stem & Science, Master Chef sessions with a fantastic Le Cordon Bleu Certified Chef, Dance, Arts and Crafts and other Crazy Fun (like the invention convention, Spy training, Juggling and Magic Workshop. Timetable available on the website now!
In Gordon, you can also learn Spanish the fun way with a fun 3 day Spanish Immersion Holiday Program. Children will love meeting friends and learning Spanish through arts, crafts, music, dance, cooking and fun games! Book from 1, 2 or 3 days. Suitable for kids 5-10 years old, and for all levels, beginners welcome!
- Chatswood Week 1: 13-17 January 2020
- Chatswood Week 2: 20-24 January 2020
- Spanish Connect, Gordon Library: 14 – 16 January 2020
- Times: 8am – 6pm. (workshops 9am-12pm & 1-4pm, bring your lunch: 12-1pm. Free extended hours: 8-9am and 4-6pm).
- Kids Circle School Holiday Program (Chatswood): 28 Chatswood Avenue, Chatswood (with free and private parking).
- Kids Circle and Spanish Connect: Gordon Library: 799 Pacific Hwy, Gordon (2 min-walk from train station, parking available just in front, at the train station and at Shopping Centre.)
- Cost: Early bird price (until 15 December): Half-day workshops from $59 (9am-12pm or 1-4pm), full day workshops from: $110 (8am-6pm). Free extended hours: 8:00-9:00am and 4:00-6:00pm. Spanish Immersions: 1 full- day: $130 each / 2 full-days: $120 each / 3 full-days: $110 each. (Suitable for 5-10 years)
- Ages: 5-9 years old (depending on the activity, children may be grouped by age)
- Contact: Grace 0405 195 225 or email
- Book: kidscircle.com.au/holiday-program
St Ives Shopping Village
Kids Coding Workshop
Create your own game in a 2 hour workshop
- Date: Wednesday 15 – Friday 17 January
- Time: 9.30-11.30am or 12-2pm
- Cost: $10 + BF
- Book: stivesvillage.com.au
Make your own robot in a 2 hour workshop
- Date: Monday 20 – Wednesday 22 January
- Time: 9.30-11.30am or 12-2pm
- Cost: $10 + BF
- Book: stivesvillage.com.au
30min workshop hosted by Rebecca Lauric Patisserie.
- Date: Monday 20 – Tuesday 21 January
- Time: 9.30am, 10.15am or 11am
- Cost: $15
- Book: stivesvillage.com.au
Reptile Show – FREE
Get up close with a crocodile, snakes and lizards.
- Date: Thursday 23 – Saturday 25 January
- Time: 9.30am, 11am or 12.30pm
- No bookings required. Level 1
The Newport & The Collaroy
The Newport’s waterfront location and stunning Pittwater views have made it a northern beaches go-to for decades. With an alfresco marketplace feel, you can choose your own adventure within their variety of food outlet and experiential areas; each with their own style and personality. There’s a lot to offer for the kids over these Summer holidays, so you can relax while they have fun!
Santa’s also coming to visit The Newport every Saturday in December (7, 14, 21 Dec), 11am to 1pm! Make sure you swing by for a family pic with Santa and write a letter to the North Pole.
- When: December 2019 – February 2020
- Mondays, 6:30pm: Cinema by the Sea
- Tuesdays, 9:30am: Mother’s group with Learn to the Beat
- Wednesdays, 6:30pm: Surf-In Cinema
- Thursdays, 9:30am: Yoga on the Deck
- Fridays, 5pm: DJs and a cheeky dance floor by the water
- Saturdays. Live entertainment on the stage all day, while you enjoy drinks and a meal on the waterfront
- Sundays. Kids Entertainment every weekend, with Reptile Man and Little Creative Co party time to keep the kiddies entertained!
- Where: The Newport, 2 Kalinya St, Newport
- Cost: Free
- Bookings: Not required, first in best dressed
- Website: merivale.com/thenewport
With a beachside backdrop, The Collaroy is the perfect spot to entertain the kids these Summer holidays. Why not grab a coffee, a glass of wine, or a bite to eat with your friends, whilst the children are entertained in the play room.
Santa’s also coming to visit The Collaroy every Sunday in December (8, 15, 22 Dec), 11am to 1pm! Make sure you swing by for a family pic with Santa and write a letter to the North Pole.
- When: December 2019 – February 2020
- Where: The Collaroy, 1064 Pittwater Rd, Collaroy Beach
- Cost: Free
- Bookings: Not required
- Website: merivale.com/thecollaroy
Puppeteria Theatre (Castle Cove)
Lah Lah’s Stripy Live Christmas Show
Come and celebrate Christmas with Lah-Lah! Here’s your chance to join Lah-Lah’s Big Live Band as they celebrate Christmas in Sydney LIVE in concert. And there’ll be a special musical visit from You-Know-Who. So pull up your stripy socks and pop on your Santa hats and get ready to dance!
If you’re looking for the best musical experience for your child, this is it. Up close, no stadiums, 100% live, every Lah-Lah show includes a free full cast meet and greet session after the show. Book now!
- When and Where:
- Monday 16 December, 10.30am: Castle Hill RSL
- Wednesday 18 December, 10am: Hurstville Entertainment Centre
- Saturday 21 December, 10am: Ryde Civic Hall
- Cost: $27.50
- Book: tickets.lah-lah.com
- When and Where:
Want more Summer Holiday ideas?
- Essential Guide to Summer Holidays: Part 1
- Best kid-friendly beaches near Sydney’s North Shore
- Five Sydney rock pools for kids
- 12 things to do on a scorching hot day in Sydney with kids
- NSM Review: Ladies lunch at the Greengate Terrace
Want some Christmas inspiration? Visit our dedicated Christmas section!
- Best streets for North Shore Christmas light displays 2019
- Christmas Carol Concert Guide
- Christmas Shows & Pantomimes to watch this festive season
- Santa photos! Where to find the big man in red around Sydney’s North Shore
- Christmas Gift Guide 2019
- Best Christmas Markets 2019
- Where to buy a real Christmas tree in Sydney
- Christmas Traditions! Gingerbread House Decorating Events
- North Shore restaurants open for Christmas Day lunch 2019