In 2017, NSM Founder & Publisher Rachel Chappell danced for cancer in the Stars of the North gala event for Cancer Council. And now it’s back for 2018, with a whole new line-up of local stars and their professional dancing partners.
Now in its third year, Stars of the North is set to be staged on 9 June at NORTHS Leagues Club in Cammeray. The community fundraising event will challenge local celebrities and community leaders to step out of their comfort zones, learn a dance routine, and perform it live in front of an audience of more than 300 people, all while raising funds for Cancer Council NSW.
At the launch event, 10 local Stars were randomly assigned a dance genre to learn and perform their dance routine at the gala night. Those strapping on their dance shoes to dance for cancer include Holly Cashman (Registered Nurse, Royal North Shore Hospital), Joseph Cappadona (Founder and Hairdresser, Gestalt Hair Studio), and Jessica Keen (Councillor, North Sydney Council).
Participants are set to begin their training this month, working towards reaching their fundraising targets and competing for three awards up for grabs: Judges’ Choice, People’s Choice and Highest Fundraiser.
Becky Dadswell, Community Relations Coordinator at Cancer Council NSW, said that she is excited to see what this year’s line-up of Stars have in store.
“Stars of the North is a once in a lifetime opportunity for local heroes to become a Star and dance! They step out of their comfort zone to fundraise for cancer in a fun way while learning something new. It’s amazing seeing people take on the “dance journey” and seeing a new side of them in the spotlight. The aim is to have people from all areas of the community participate, demonstrating how we can all contribute and make a difference.
“The 2017 event raised an incredible $138,000 and we are very excited to return for another year with even more fun and interactive entertainment on the night for the whole crowd,” concluded Mrs Dadswell.
In 2017, NSM Founder Rachel Chappell danced for cancer, raising $18,000 and coming second in the Judge’s Choice category on the night. Click here to see the action from 2017.
Funds raised by Stars of the North will contribute to local Cancer Council NSW initiatives such as cancer prevention and support services in Northern Sydney.
2018 Stars of the North Gala Night
Tickets are now on sale for the Stars of the North Gala Night on Saturday 9 June at NORTHS Cammeray. Click here to book tickets.
- Matt Papallo, Founder and Health Coach, MP Living
- Chris Charlton, Chiropractor, Castlecrag Chiropractic
- Cassie Wallace, NORTHS, Purchasing and Stores Assistant
- Emma Spencer, Clinical Psychologist at Child Development Solutions Australia / Community Radio Presenter, The Empower Hour
- Holly Cashman, Registered Nurse, Royal North Shore Hospital
- Joseph Cappadona, Founder and Hairdresser, Gestalt Hair Studio
- Jessica Keen, Councillor, North Sydney Council
- Tanya Taylor, Corporate Sponsorship Officer, City of Sydney
- Trevor Richardson, Real Estate Agent, McGrath Real Estate
- Hong Huang, Director and Architect, Brewster Murray
2018 Dance School Partners
- Arthur Murray Dance Studios Crows Nest
- Caitlyn Hosking
- Vicki Clair
- Liorah Ayalon
- Lou Pollard, Comedian, MC, Actor, Speaker & Writer
- Joshua Horner, Creative Director/ Founder at Dance Upon a Dream. Has also been a Judge on Dancing with the Stars in Australia