Children never stop learning and growing. That’s why nurturing young minds and bodies is at the heart of Simply Fun, a multi-sensory play centre in Chatswood. Delivering programs catered for ages 6 months to 10 years, Simply Fun delivers on its name and more. In this review, Rochelle Kim aims to share some of the excitement with our NSM readers.
As parents, we strive to nurture our children’s growing curiosity which is often coupled with boundless energy. That’s why it’s always great to find new and fun ways to stimulate children. This is where Simply Fun can help out. Located in the centre of Chatswood, this multi-sensory play centre offers a range of classes to encourage physical, mental and social development in an engaging environment for children (think climbing gyms, softplay and bubble blowing!). ) There’s also after school programs such as drama, dance, etc (also STEM in the near future), so it’s a one-stop centre for physical, cognitive and social development.
Simply Fun caters for children between 6 months and 10 years with tailored classes. My children are three (almost four) and 16 months, which meant they enrolled for the Simply Ninjas and Wobbly Walkers classes. Here’s what we experienced:
- Simply Ninjas (ages 3.5-4.5 years)
Simply Ninjas was an action-packed class perfect for an active child looking for adventure. Led by instructors that kept to the theme by dressing as ninjas, the class aims to hone your child’s gross motor skills and develop their sense of wonder. The class is mostly structured, with children given small activities and challenges throughout. Climbing, jumping, balancing, and forward-rolls are all part of the fun for the little ninjas in training. The activities throughout also encouraged learning through play, with colour coordination activities and more for our rising action stars.
- Wobbly Walkers (ages 12-18 months)
For our smaller curious minds, the wobbly walkers class offers a range of activities to help with gross motor and sensory skill development, as well as help with language and parental bonding through singing and counting with children. It’s a mix of structured activities with free play to suit the attention spans of the age group. In addition to all the singing fun, children enjoyed the soft play obstacles and climbing equipment, with instructors encouraging curiosity in a safe environment.
- Open Play (all ages)
Between the two classes, my children were able to take full flight in the centre during open play, which includes the multi-sensory soft section and the beautifully decorated playrooms adjacent. The children could climb and jump to their heart’s content, or play with the numerous toys to encourage their imagination. It’s available in-between classes and is a good opportunity for children to warm up and become familiar with the centre. Open play is also available for non-members; perfect for those rainy days.
Things I LOVED!
- Older children could be engrossed in their class, while parents can watch comfortably from the sideline enjoying a coffee from a close distance. If you have another child, they had plenty to do in the small playrooms located just outside the multi-sensory soft play section while one is in a class session.
- The instructors were really enthusiastic. You could tell they loved their jobs and were looking out for the well-being of the children. They were also very accommodating. Both my children wanted to be in the middle of the action during each of the class. Knowing they allowed them to be involved, but in a safe way made it easier for me.
- Classes were small and intimate, so teachers were able to work closely with the parents and children. This helps make it less overwhelming for smaller children or those who are timid.
- In the time I was there, I could tell there was already a community. The centre staff knew all the families well. As a mum, it’s always nice knowing you’re part of a tribe.
- Where: Simply Fun,Suite 14, Level 1, 445 Victoria Ave, Chatswood, NSW, 2067
- Handy tip: don’t use Google maps to find Simply Fun, otherwise you will certainly get lost. The centre is super easy to find. It’s opposite Gloria Jeans in The Gallery (Level 1).
- Opening Hours:
- Monday – Saturday: 9am – 5:30pm
- Sunday: 9am – 11am
- Website: https://www.simplyfun.com.au/
- Classes: Prices range from $22 – $29 depending on the package
- Open Play: $9/hr per child (Non-member) or $5/hr per child (Member)
- $65/month per child for unlimited free-play
- Siblings half price
- Change table: is conveniently available at the centre. Toilets are available close by within level 1 of The Gallery.
- Parking: Located in The Gallery, parking is best at The Westfield Shopping Centre, which is free for three hours, plenty of time for a class and some free play.
- Coffee: There’s delicious coffees available on site, $3.5o for regular and $2.5o for small size
- Birthday parties: Birthday parties are available on weekends. There are three options that each come with instructors for play, with even the basic option providing gift bags filled with goodies for the kids. More elaborate packages come with beautifully catered cakes, balloon garlands and more. More information available on the website.