With lockdown in NSW extended for another four weeks until 28 August 2021, a group of local parents have come up with the idea of bringing the Spring School Holidays forward by 1-2 weeks (so they start 4 or 11 September) and start Term 4 earlier (and make it 1-2 weeks longer) to increase the face-to-face learning time at school.
There’s no denying that home schooling is placing a huge amount of additional pressure on parents who are juggling this extra responsibility on top of their normal household duties, working from home or running a business.
Despite the best efforts of our amazing teachers in providing an online learning experience, it simply doesn’t replace the quality of education that children get from face-to-face interaction with their trained teachers and friends.
This petition calls upon the NSW Government to consider bringing forward the school holidays by one or two weeks and extend Term 4 to maximise face-to-face learning.
Three reasons to support this idea
- This takes the pressure off parents and carers to juggle home schooling and working from home
- It takes the pressure off teachers, who are also parenting and home schooling their own children
- It provides our kids with one to two extra weeks of face to face learning and social interaction
This petition asks to:
- Bring the NSW Spring School Holidays forward by 1-2 weeks
- Bring the start of Term 4 forward by 1-2 weeks
- Give our children the opportunity for more face-to-face learning in 2021
Do you think it would work?
Of course, there are many different things to consider with this idea. First and foremost, would teachers like this? It might work for primary school aged kids, but would it work for high school? Could kids cope with a 13 week term, or would there need to be a mid-term break? And what if lockdown continues beyond 28 August? Feel free to comment below with your thoughts too…