As you walk into our practice in Artarmon, there can be no doubt we are a family practice – photos of children adorn the front desk, colourings are proudly displayed on the walls and toys are available in every room. Our patients range from the newborn to the grandparent, the school kid to the office worker. Whilst it is common for mothers to have heard of children going to chiropractors or babies being checked after birth, they are often confused.
Why would I take my child to a Chiropractor when they don’t have back pain?
The reasons parents may bring their precious infant into a chiropractors office are wide and varied. In her book Well Adjusted Babies, Dr Jennifer Barnham-Floriani lists 10 common reasons:
- To maximise their child’s plasticity (brain and nerve development)
- To enhance their child’s overall health and wellbeing
- To strengthen immunity and reduce the incidence of colds, earaches and overall illness
- To help with colic and irritable baby syndrome
- To help with asthma, breathing difficulties and allergies
- To improve spinal posture
- To improve their child’s ability to concentrate
- To assist with behavioural disorders and offer greater emotional wellbeing
- To help alleviate bed-wetting and digestive problems
- To assist with sleep issue
How do I know if my child needs an adjustment?
The second important, and highly common question asked is: ‘How do I know if my child needs an adjustment?‘. Here are 10 indicators that chiropractor care may help the health of your child:
- Their birth was traumatic in some nature
- Forceps, Vacuum or emergency Caesarean were performed (often as life saving techniques) but may have placed extra stress on the neck
- You notice their posture unbalanced
- They have had a traumatic fall or accident
- They are behind their peers with their developmental milestones
- They can only turn their head to onside or have a preference for one side
- They have trouble concentrating
- They regularly have a cough, cold or flu
- They walk or crawl abnormally
- You are concerned about their overall health
Chiropractic care for children is gentle, many babies fall asleep during their adjustment and children giggle. It is also safe and effective. Funnily as I’ve been writing this article between clients, I’ve just had one of our regular kids come in to see me. He had been playing on the trampoline, fallen off and landed head first on the concrete. Now he walked into my office with an egg on his forehead. If that’s not a reason to get his spine checked then I don’t know what is!