When it comes to car reviews, top speeds and torque sound great, but decision-making mums often need more practical information about how a new car will handle daily life. NSM Bianka Ford took an Audi Q5 50 TDI Sport for a spin over a few days to put it to the ultimate test in her family of four. And if you’ve been thinking about a new ride, now’s your chance. For a limited time, there are TWO incredible offers at Audi Alto to get you on the road faster- a ‘refer a friend’ bonus scheme with $1K for you AND your friend, and the ‘Options are on the Haus’ offer, which means you don’t pay for options on a new or demo car from Audi Alto during April.
The Audi Q5 is unquestionably a delicious drive, which shouldn’t come as a surprise given it’s won many awards and is strikingly beautiful. But on top of the incredible experience of being behind the wheel, there are other factors that make it a winner. We tested it against the biggest questions on mums’ minds, and here’s what we found.
Why this car? What makes this car special?
There are very few times you can honestly use the word ‘magnificent’ in a review, but the experience of driving this car is one of them. It is smooth, it is effortless. When you put your foot down, you can really feel the power of the car, but it doesn’t sound like a truck, nor does it jolt you. It is packed with features that create a beautiful driving experience. Here are my favourites:
- Drive assistance that allows you set the speed, distance from other cars and how you like to drive (comfort, dynamic etc) then does all of the pedal work for you
- Traffic jam assistance that will accelerate and brake and even steer slightly for you as you drive
- A 360 camera that gives a crystal clear view of your car as though there is a drone hovering above you!
- It’s self-parking – yes the Audi Q5 can automatically park, handsfree, front or back, parallel or perpendicular
- This car is hot! It looks elegant yet sporty and travels effortlessly between business meeting and the school gate, a night out or a soccer Saturday, always turning heads because it’s just so jaw-droppingly beautiful
You can take a look at the Options on the Haus offer from Audi Alto below- if you buy a new or demo car from Audi Alto from tomorrow until end of month you don’t have to pay for the options!
Is it big enough?
The mid-size Q5 is perfect for any mum who has to handle shrinking car spaces at shopping centres, narrow lanes, negotiating roadwork, and the busy suburbs of the North Shore. But even without using the self-park, I easily slipped in and out of car spots, loading my family of four and unloading them all again with no trouble.
And like any mum, I need to fit as much as possible into a compact space inside (think groceries, school bags, sports bags, business bags and absolutely everything else we need for even one day out and about!) The boot is a generous space (I got a Bugaboo and week’s load of groceries in without stacking anything, with enough room leftover for sports equipment). The back seats can be moved forward to create more space and the middle seat of the back row folds to transport long items.
It can fit three car seats, or two car seats plus an adult in the back. If you do prefer to space out the seating arrangements, have a bigger family, want more leg room in the back or carry a larger amount of stuff, you might like to consider the Q7.
Is it safe enough?
The Audi Q5 is one of the safest cars on the road thanks to its predictive technology.
- It can sense if the car behind you is at risk of crashing into you, and braces the car
- If you are too close to a pedestrian or car, the Autonomous Emergency Braking system slows or stops the car
- The Attention Assist feature will alert you if your attention starts waning
- The Active Lane Assist will remind you to stick to your lane with a gentle amber light
The sophisticated tech should reduce your the risk of having an accident, but if you do, the car is designed to lessen the impact. I found the front doors to be heavier than my Nissan SUV, which is a design feature to redirect kinetic energy from a crash away from your body and to wherever it will cause the least damage.
The front doors are designed to redirect kinetic energy away from you in the event of a crash
How does it handle the weather?
Sydney’s weather is about as predictable as a two-year-old’s moods. One of the test days went from a muggy 30 degrees to torrential rain and thunderstorm.
In hot weather:
The Audi Q5 did not miss a beat. During the heat, we had the panoramic sunroof with the UV screen up so that we still had the spacious feeling of an open cabin, but protection from the sun. The air con system handled our family’s three different preferences with ease so everyone was comfortable.
In wet weather:
Driving home one night it was dark, raining so hard you could barely see, and there massive puddles all the way down Pacific Highway so cars were making waves when driving through. The Audi handled it all as though it was a balmy summer evening. While other cars were sliding and obviously wrestling with these conditions, we did not have a concern at all. In all honesty, if I didn’t see that the weather was this bad, I would have never known!
What did you love the most?
The incredible features of this Audi Q5 50 TDI Sport work together to make it a completely intuitive experience. From where the buttons are, to how they work, from the beautiful soft feel of the steering wheel to what I could see on the display looking through it. Every single part of this car has been thoughtfully put together and it creates such a joyous driving experience; it is smooth in looks, touch and drive. There are countless winning features, but I especially loved:
- Massage seats: My road rage was a thing of the past when I could sink back into beautiful leather seats, programmed to remember my most comfortable settings and pick massage function I preferred!
- The Bang & Olufsen 19 speaker sound system that is acoustically perfect for the interior and has 3D options, which is not like being at the actual concert, but it’s pretty close!
- It’s affordable to buy and run. A brand new, feature packed Audi Q5 starts from $75,000 driveaway, and the diesel engine is fuel efficient. Smart buyers can take advantage of fixed-rate 3 or 5-year service packages starting from $1,710, or make the most of the 3 year complimentary service plans, available to employees of the top 1,000 businesses in Australia as well as many professional bodies.
What’s under the bonnet of the Audi Q5 50 TDI Sport?
- Eight-speed automatic transmission
- V6 turbo-diesel engine producing 210kW and 620Nm.
- The fuel consumption is rated at 6.3L/100km.
This car is what I would call Intelligent Luxury. Audi is a clear winner in safety and beauty, but when you scratch the surface, you can see that there are very real benefits to extras that might be filed under ‘luxury’. We spend so much time in our car, sometimes under aggravating traffic-filled conditions, so why wouldn’t you want to ensure you are surrounded with benefits to make your trip more pleasurable? While driving this car, my kids were content, my husband was pleased, and I was ecstatic.
TWO GREAT OFFERS FROM AUDI ALTO ARE AVAILABLE NOW:
Friends With Benefits
Now is a great time to get yourself behind the wheel of an Audi Q5 50 TDI Sport, thanks to Audi Alto’s Friends With Benefits offer! Audi Alto is currently offering a $1000 referral offer, which is $1000 for the car buyer, and another $1,000 for the referring friend. This offer is available at Audi Alto Artarmon, Pennant Hills and Central Coast, feel free to let them know I sent you!
Options ‘on the Haus’
Plus, purchase an in-stock new or demonstrator vehicle at Audi Alto this April and you will receive the factory fitted options on that Audi…”on the haus”. Options include panoramic sunroof, technik package, and S line sport package, plus many more. Options are on the Haus is only at Audi Alto Pennant Hills, Central Coast and Artarmon. Visit .www.audialto.com.au for more.