Winter is here, so embrace it! There’s lots of fun events happening around Sydney – pop up ice skating rinks, inflatable igloos, toboggan runs, snow tubes, ice slides & more.
Pop-up Ice Rink!
Winterfest at Luna Park
Snow will be falling over Luna Park during the school holidays! Strap on your skates and slide onto the ice at the outdoor ice rink. There’s no need to pre-book a session time and skating is FREE with your Unlimited Rides or Annual Pass.
Santa will also be around spread the Christmas cheer all throughout Winterfest. Be sure to say hello to the jolly fellow as he roams the park every day of Winterfest before snapping a photo with the iconic backdrop of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House.
- Where: Luna Park, Milsons Point
- When: Friday 5 July – Monday 22 July
- Cost: Included in your annual pass or unlimited rides ticket
- More information and tickets
Skating At Cathedral Square
Feel the cold air on your face and the ice below your toes on the Air Canada Ice Rink! They’ll be entertainment, icy-cool ice slides, or enjoy snow tubes down The Runway. If food is more your thing, The Winter Market offers a range of winter warmers from around the world, or you can cosy up at the Maple Leaf Bar. Skating At Cathedral Square is a wonderful event that allows all ages to experience the magical delights of winter traditions.
- Where: St Mary’s Cathedral, St Mary’s Road, Sydney
- When: Friday 28 June – Sunday 21 July
- Times: Monday – Wednesday: 10am-9pm, Thursday – Sunday: 10am-10pm
- Cost: $9 (3-4 years) $20 (children 5-13 years) $27 (adults 14+ years); $87 (Family Skate: 2A, 2C) for a 45 minute session. Buy 10 or more tickets get 10% off
- More info and tickets
Bondi Winter Magic
Celebrate 10 years at Australia’s only beachside ice rink! Skate in the sunshine, or under the stars at night – it’s an exhilarating experience. Skating sessions start on the hour and go for 45 minutes. Also get a birds eye view of the iconic Bondi Beach from Bondi Vista, a 22 metre high ferris wheel.
- Where: Forecourt of Bondi Pavilion, Queen Elizabeth Drive, Bondi Beach
- When: Friday 28 June to Sunday 21 July
- Times: 10am to 9pm daily
- Cost: Under 5 yrs: $12 (needs to skate with a parent or older sibling), Child 5-13 years $18, Adult 14 yrs & above $22, Family 2 adults + 2 children $69, Penguin Hire $8
- More info and tickets
Parramatta Winterlight Ice Rink
Come and enjoy the massive outdoor ice rink in Parramatta! With dedicated kid’s sessions to start each day — perfect for little ones new to skating — it offers a safe environment for younger children to take to the ice, complete with Kanga helpers on hand to help them on their feet.
Get your thrill on the Winterlight ice slide, made entirely of ice! At 30 metres long, a ride down this elevated slide is definitely set to get your heart racing.
- Where: Prince Alfred Square, corner Church St and Victoria Road, Parramatta
- When: Friday 5 July – Sunday 21 July
- Times: Monday – Thursday: 11am-9pm, Friday to Sunday:0am-10pm
- Cost: Child (under 5 years): $10, Junior (5-13 years): $19, Adult (14+ years): $24, Family Special (2 adults & 2 children/juniors): $65, Kanga Hire: $10
- More info and tickets
Snow Time in the Gardens, Hunter Valley
Glide on the giant ice skating rink, slide down our mega ice toboggan and build a snowman in our man-made Snow Play Zone. Enjoy the awesome rides, which include the Super Slide, 25 metre Ferris Wheel, speedy Swing Chair and traditional Venetian Carousel. Plus, roving entertainment, hearty food and warming beverages.
- Where: Hunter Valley Gardens, Broke Road, Hunter Valley
- When: Saturday 29 June – Sunday 21 July
- Times: Daily: 10am – 6pm
- Cost: Under 3 Child Free, Child (4 – 15 years): $25, Adults (16+): $34, Family (2 adults, 2 children): $105, Family (2 adults, 1 child) $85 Extra Child with Family Pass $22.
- More info and tickets
Winter in the Park, Gosford
Heading to the Central Coast these school holidays? Winter in the Park is returning to Gosford CBD. You can wander the inflatable igloo village, meet Frozen’s heroines Anna and Elsa, join in a free snow-globe making or sun print magic workshop and see international ice-sculptor Kenji Ogawa carve amazing displays from ice. There will also be kids carnival rides, live entertainment and “Ice Age: Hunt for the Honeycomb Caves” is bringing your favourite Ice Age characters to the stage. View the program
- When: Saturday 6 July to Saturday 20 July
- Where: Kibble Park, Gosford
- Times: 10-4pm
- Costs: Free with a few activities needing bookings a pre payment. Visit the program for more information
- More info: Winter in the Park
Bathurst Winter Festival
Come and celebrate and journey to the Bathurst Winter Festival. Historic buildings will come alive through static and interactive illuminations, every night from sundown. The all ages Winter Playground is the place for fun, amusement and adventure day or night. Packed with the McDonald’s Bathurst Ice Rink, ferris wheel, two storey carousel and an evening light show there is no better place to experience winter than right here.
- When: Saturday 6 July to Sunday 21 July
- Where: Various locations throughout Bathurst. Bathurst is just over 200km west of Sydney
Permanent Ice Rinks
Macquarie Ice Rink, North Ryde
Macquarie Ice Rink is open every day (apart from Christmas day) so you can enjoy ice-skating year round. The centre offers three hours free car parking, so there is plenty of time to enjoy a social skate, learn to skate, or even hold a kid’s birthday party.
- Where: Macquarie Shopping Centre, corner Waterloo Rd and Herring Rd, North Ryde
- Cost: Child (u16) $20, Students $21, Adults $22 for a two-hour session. $5 skate hire.
Ice Zoo, Alexandria
Ice Zoo has the traditional skating sessions and learn to skate classes, but also ice hockey, ice fitness classes, live DJ nights and snow play for children aged under 6 years during term time!
- Where: 689 Gardeners Road, Alexandria
- Cost: Toddler (2-4yrs) $10, Child (5-15yrs) $18, Adults (16+) $20, Family $65
Canterbury Olympic Ice Rink, Canterbury
Canterbury Olympic Ice Rink is a not-for-profit entity that returns the income back into the operation of the ice rink. It’s well-known as the friendliest, best-value rink in town. Take a skating class, hold birthday parties, and join a house club and rink activities throughout the year. There’s also ice hockey and speed skating fun to be had.
- Where: Phillips Ave, Canterbury
- Cost: Child U5 $14; Child 5-15 years $22; 16+ and Adults, $25; Family Pass, $75. Includes skate hire
Liverpool Catholic Club Ice Rink, Prestons
Liverpool Catholic Club Ice Rink is located in the Liverpool Catholic Club Sports Complex, so head on down for a fun day of skating. From attending Learn to Skate classes with accredited coaches, or going along to a Whiteout Saturday, you are guaranteed a great time. Also consider an Ice Rink Party for your child.
- Where: 424-458 Hoxton Park Rd, Prestons
- Cost: Children under 4 $10, Children (5-14 yrs) $17; Adults $20
Penrith Ice Palace Skating Centre, Jamisontown
Penrith Ice Palace Skating Centre is an Olympic-sized arena that is perfect for general skating, plus Friday night disco’s sessions and programs to learn ice-skating under the guidance of professional coaches in skate school and ice hockey development. There is also a canteen next to the ice surface where you can sit, relax and enjoy some light refreshments, hot and cold drinks and snacks.
- Where: 7 Patty’s Pl, Supa Centa Penrith, Jamistown
- Cost: Toddlers (under 4) $15; Children (5-17 years) $20; Adults $22
For more holiday inspiration, check out our Essential Guide to Winter School Holidays and Essential Guide to Winter School Holidays: Sports Edition.