Mother’s Day is on the way and that means it’s your chance to decide how you celebrate! Or, if you’re honouring your own mum (or someone special), make sure you choose something special to do and show them how much they mean to you. Here are some ideas for fun things to do in and around Sydney that will help make this Mother’s Day a special one.
1. Sydney Comedy Festival
Make this Mother’s Day a hilarious one by booking a show at Sydney Comedy Festival! The annual event sees some of the world’s funniest comedians take to stages across Sydney to entertain an audience of more than 122,500 people. Arj Barker performs on Saturday 13 May at Enmore Theatre, Enmore.
- Where: Various venues around Sydney
- When: Friday 19 May to Saturday 20 May 2017
- More info: Sydney Comedy Festival
2. Kinky Boots the Musical
Kinky Boots is the hit musical based on the movie starring Joel Edgerton. Inspired by a true story, it follows a young man who is trying to save the family shoe factory with an outrageous idea. The songs of Cyndi Lauper will get your toes tapping. Find out what made this show a smash on Broadway and the West End.
- Where: Capitol Theatre, Haymarket, Sydney
- When: Until Sunday 6 August
- More info: Kinky Boots
3. Centennial Parklands Mother Nature Quest
Get back to nature with mum and the family by taking a walk through a specially designed Mother’s Day trail in Centennial Park. A map is provided with clues and facts about the plants and animals you might see in your travels, like flying-fox colonies, brush-tailed possums, long-finned eels and a variety of bird life. At the en of the trail create a unique gift to take home or give mum for Mother’s Day. The trail is stroller friendly and can be completed with the entire family.
- Where: Centennial Park, Sydney
- When: Saturday 13 May, 10-11.45am
- More info: Centennial Parklands Mother Nature Quest
Mother’s Day Classic Fun Run
The annual Mother’s Day Classic is a fun run or walk that helps raise money for breast cancer research. There’s different courses for different fitness levels, plus loads of fun activities for kids and adults like warm up aerobics, roving performers, food vendors, entertainment, plus a kids activity area with face painting and jumping castles!
- Where: The Domain, Art Gallery Road, Sydney.
- When: Sunday 14 May, from 6am
- More info: Mother’s Day Classic Fun Run
Head On Photo Festival
Get in touch with some culture this Mother’s Day! The Head On Photo Festival gives recognition to nationally and internationally acclaimed artists as well as emerging talent. Take mum to gaze on some incredible and moving images at the Head On Photo Awards, or go to the Head On Portrait Prize, Australia’s most critically acclaimed photographic portrait prize.
- Where: Various galleries around Sydney
- When: Until Sunday 28 May
- More info: Head On Photo Festival
Some more Sydney ideas for mum…
- A voucher for a beauty treatment at a day spa. Check out the NSM Directory for some great pamper options.
- A donation to her favourite charity
- A tour to introduce her to Australian Aboriginal history, art and culture
- Take her for a special high tea. Check our list of Six Spots for a Decadent High Tea on the North Shore.
- Booking a backstage tour of the Opera House
- A coffee, lunch, cocktail or dinner cruise on Sydney harbour