Children make friends all the time at parks. It usually starts with ‘My name is Lily, can I play with you?’.
But when was the last time YOU made a friend at a park?
A year ago, I met another North Shore Mum (NSM) at the sandpit at Wahroonga Park. We had attended the same NSM events, but not crossed paths.
Fast forward a year, and we had our bags packed for more than just a picnic in the park! With passport and plane ticket in hand, we were bound for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for a long weekend away (child-free).
Before even leaving Sydney airport, the relaxation and laughs began.
We flew in style, not quite business class, but a very comfortable section called the Quiet Zone (no children under 10 years). It was peaceful and we were fortunate to stretch out across three seats each.
Whilst it feels like we’ve known each other for many years, we were pleasantly surprised to learn over the weekend that we had a lot in common;
- Fast Walkers – we pack a lot into each day through speed (and both lack patience for those that dawdle)
- Big Feet – both a Size 41 (9.5) – makes for interesting shoe shopping in Asia
- DC addicts – need our fix of Diet Coke during the day
- Adventurous palate – enjoyed trying local street food including BBQ Stingray cooked in banana leaves
Whilst we did enjoy shopping, we managed to have some relaxation time by the pool and marvel that the beautiful sights of this city.
We are grateful to our very capable, caring and supportive husbands (whom we have trained well!).
Cheers to my big footed, fast walking, DC loving friend. Let’s make this an annual trip, Nicky Sanders!
Thank you Rachel Chappell for your vision in creating North Shore Mums – a place for new and wonderful friendships.
Want our top tips for travelling to KL?
- We flew with AirAsia – flights from $129
- We stayed at Shangri-La – rooms from $130
- We shopped at; Pavilion, KLCC Suria, Central Markets, Petaling Street
- We ate at Jalan Alor – street food
- We drank at Skybar – Level 33 Traders Hotel