Keen to take your kids to a farm? Whether its cows, sheep, horses, goats, ducks or rabbits they love, there are lots of farms and petting zoos within a short drive of Sydney’s North Shore. So hop in the car and explore one for your next family day out. Here’s a great list of farms near the North Shore. What are you waiting for? Quack quack!
Looking for a fun day out with the kids? You don’t have to travel too far from home to enjoy the farm life. We have put together a guide of the best farms near North Shore for you to explore. Simply use the quicklinks below!
- Golden Ridge Farm, Dural
- Calmsley Hill City Farm, Abbotsbury
- Amazement Park, Wyong Creek
- Backyard to Bush at Taronga Zoo
- Rouse Hill House and Farm
- The Grounds of Alexandria
1. Golden Ridge Animal Farm, Dural
This farm is a family owned business. They have a large variety of friendly farm animals, most of which have been hand raised on the farm – everything from small pet mice up to the big bulls! Activities included with entry include holding baby animals, meet, greet and feed the larger animals, milking the cows, bottle feed the baby lambs and kids and entering the open paddock. Make sure you pack your lunch and some drinks, as there are no food outlets on the farm. You can hand feed more than 200 animals on a self-guided tour around the farm. There are also plenty of additional extras, including pony rides, feed and more. Be sure to bring cash, as there is no Eftpos.
- Where: 686 Old Northern Road, Dural (15 mins drive from Thornleigh)
- Cost: $20 adults and children. Babies Under 1 Free. On public holidays entry fee is $5 extra per person. Bucket Feeds $5. Pony rides $5. Note there is no Eftpos or Credit Card facilities
- Open: 10am- 2.30pm weekdays, 19.30am-3.30pm weekends. Bookings are essential.
- Website: goldenridgeanimalfarm.com.au
2. Calmsley Hill City Farm, Abbotsbury
At Calmsley Hill you can get up close to a range of native and farmyard animals. It makes a great family day out! Be a farmer for the day, learn how to milk a cow and feed the animals in the farmyard nursery. There are daily shows to enjoy, which include patting the animals, stock whip show, working dog show and more. You can bring your own picnic lunch, bring some sausages and use their electric BBQ’s or simply buy take-away food from the Farmhouse Kiosk.
- Where: 31 Darling Street, Abbotsbury (approx 40 mins drive from Gordon)
- Cost: $27.50 adults, $15.50 children (3-16 years), $82.50 family (2 adults, 3 kids). Tractor rides $3 per person, Animal Feed bags $2 each
- Open: Wednesday-Friday, 9am-3pm, Staurday & Sunday 9am-4pm. Bookings required.
- Website: calmsleyhill.com.au
3. Amazement Farm & Fun Park, Wyong Creek
There is lots to enjoy at Amazement Park! There are friendly farm animals, scheduled petting shows, pony rides and horse & cart rides. You can enjoy one of the many presentations, including reptiles, possums, donkey walk, baby animal bottle feeding, and more. There are several magical mazes and puzzles to explore, giant board games, kids playground, mini bike track and bikes. Plus there’s the Big Barn cafe and picnic areas and a Wild Woods forest walk. There are even facilities for a farmstay for up to 20 guests!
- Where: 170 Yarramalong Road, Wyong Creek (45 mins drive up the M1 from Wahroonga)
- Cost: $20 adults, $14 children (2-16 years), $60 family (2 adults, 2 kids). Pony rides $5, Horse & Card rides $5pp or family pass (2+2) $16. There is eftpos facilities
- Open: Weekends, school and public holidays, 10am – 4:00pm. Last entry at 1.30pm
- Website: amazement.com.au
4. Backyard to Bush at Taronga Zoo
At the Backyard to Bush Farm at Taronga Zoo, you’ll meet sheep, goats, pigs, chickens, rabbits, guinea pigs, ducks and more! Get up close and personal with rabbits, guinea pigs and more daily at 10.30am and farm feeding is on daily at 2pm. There is a great new playground in this area too, which includes lots of water-splashing fun (be sure to pack a spare pair of clothes in case the kids get wet!). Inside Taronga Zoo, you can of course make your way around the venue and check out all the other amazing animals they have. Pack a picnic and enjoy some great harbour views while you are there.
- Where: Taronga Zoo, Bradley’s Head Road, Mosman
- Cost: $44.10 adults, $26.10 children (4-15). If you live nearby, the best value is an annual Zoo Friends membership (a great Birthday or Christmas present)!
- Website: taronga.org.au
5. Rouse Hill House & Farm
This house and farm has been owned by six generations of one family over the years. Today, you can head to the farm and find out about the fascinating history of Rouse Hill House & Farm, which also features the restored 1888 Rouse Hill schoolhouse, a section of the original Windsor Road turnpike proclaimed by Governor Macquarie in 1813, and the site of the doomed 1804 ‘Vinegar Hill’ convict rebellion. Take a farmyard tour to explore the stables and meet the chooks, ‘Pudding’ the cow, and horses Larry and Ziggy. Ring the school house bell and explore the 19th century school room with its animal specimens, piano and blackboard. There’s plenty to see and do!
- Where: 356 Annangrove Road, Rouse Hill
- Cost: Adult $15, Concession $12, Family $38, FREE for members and children under 5 years
- Open: Thursday-Sunday, 10am-4pm
- Website: sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/rouse-hill-house-farm
6. The Grounds of Alexandria
While this isn’t exactly a farm near North Shore, it is a great place to go to see some animals, while also being able to sit back and enjoy a nice cup of coffee. You’ll love your visit to the animal farm in The Grounds Garden. You’ll find some cheeky chickens and Russel Crow the Rooster in The Garden. They often have their farm friends visiting too so keep an eye out for them. In The Potting Shed you’ll also find Fluffy, the Macaw. The Grounds of Alexandria also host plenty of events throughout the year, so be sure to check their website and plan your visit.
- Where: Building 7A, 2 Huntley St, Alexandria
- Cost: Free
- Open: The Garden is open from 7.30am – 3pm Monday to Friday, or 8am – 3.30pm on weekends.
- Website: thegrounds.com.au