Keen to take your kids to a farm? Whether its cows, sheep, horses, goats, ducks or rabbits they love, there are lots of farms and petting zoos within a short drive of Sydney’s North Shore. So hop in the car and explore one for your next family day out. Quack quack!
1. Golden Ridge Animal Farm, Dural
This farm is a family owned business. They have a large variety of friendly farm animals, most of which have been hand raised on the farm – everything from small pet mice up to the big bulls! Activities included with entry include holding baby animals, meet, greet and feed the larger animals, milking the cows, bottle feed the baby lambs and kids and entering the open paddock. Make sure you pack your lunch and some drinks, as there are no food outlets on the farm.
- Where: 686 Old Northern Road, Dural (15 mins drive from Thornleigh)
- Cost: $15 adults and children. Babies Under 1 Free. On public holidays entry fee is $5 extra per person. Bucket Feeds $5. Pony rides $5. Note there is no Eftpos or Credit Card facilities
- Open: 10.30 weekdays, 11.00am weekends. Bookings are essential by email or call 9651 1028
- Website: goldenridgeanimalfarm.com.au
2. Calmsley Hill City Farm, Abbotsbury
At Calmsley Hill you can get up close to a range of native and farmyard animals. It makes a great family day out! Be a farmer for the day, learn how to milk a cow and feed the animals in the farmyard nursery. You can bring your own picnic lunch, bring some sausages and use their electric BBQ’s or simply buy take-away food from the Farmhouse Kiosk.
- Where: 31 Darling Street, Abbotsbury (approx 40 mins drive from Gordon)
- Cost: $27.50 adults, $15.50 children (3-16 years), $82.50 family (2 adults, 3 kids). Tractor rides $3 per person, Animal Feed bags $2 each
- Open: Every day, 9.00am – 4.30pm
- Website: calmsleyhill.com.au
3. Amazement Park, Wyong Creek
There is lots to enjoy at Amazement Park! There are friendly farm animals, scheduled petting shows, pony rides, horse & cart rides as well as several magical mazes and puzzles to explore, giant board games, kids playground, mini bike track and bikes plus The Big Barn cafe and picnic areas and a Wild Woods forest walk. There are even facilities for a farmstay for up to 20 guests!
- Where: 170 Yarramalong Road, Wyong Creek (45 mins drive up the M1 from Wahroonga)
- Cost: $16 adults, $12 children (2-16 years), $50 family (2 adults, 2 kids). Pony rides $5, Horse & Card rides $5pp or family pass (2+2) $16. There is eftpos facilities
- Open: Weekends, school and public holidays, 10am – 4:00pm. Last entry at 1.30pm
- Website: amazement.com.au
4. Backyard to Bush at Taronga Zoo
At the Backyard to Bush Farm at Taronga Zoo, you’ll meet sheep, goats, pigs, chickens, rabbits, guinea pigs, ducks and more! Get up close and personal with rabbits, guinea pigs and more daily at 10.30am and farm feeding is on daily at 2pm. There is a great new playground in this area too, which includes lots of water-splashing fun (be sure to pack a spare pair of clothes in case the kids get wet!).
- Where: Taronga Zoo, Bradley’s Head Road, Mosman
- Cost: $47 adults, $27 children (4-15). If you live nearby, the best value is an annual Zoo Friends membership (a great Birthday or Christmas present)!
- Website: taronga.org.au
5. Rouse Hill House & Farm
Head to the farm and find out about the fascinating history of Rouse Hill House & Farm! Take a farmyard tour to explore the stables and meet the chooks, ‘Pudding’ the cow, and horses Larry and Ziggy. Ring the school house bell and explore the 19th century school room with its animal specimens, piano and blackboard. There’s plenty to see and do!
- Where: 356 Annangrove Road, Rouse Hill
- Cost: Adult $12, Concession $8, Family $30, FREE for members and children under 5 years
- Open: Daily in the school holidays from 11am
- Website: sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/rouse-hill-house-farm
6. The Grounds, Alexandria
Want to say hi to some animals? Visit the animal farm in The Grounds Garden. You’ll find the famous resident pig Kevin Bacon, along with some cheeky chickens and Russel Crow the Rooster in The Garden. They often have their farm friends visiting too so keep an eye out for them. In The Potting Shed you’ll also find Fluffy, the Macaw.
- Where: Building 7A, 2 Huntley St, Alexandria
- Cost: Free
- Open: The Garden is open from 7am – 4pm Monday to Friday or 7:30am – 4pm on weekends.
- Website: thegrounds.com.au
Want more animal fun? Take a look at these other articles…