Mother’s Day is almost upon us and there’s plenty of ways to spoil your mum, mum in-law, step mum and even yourself! And there’s no need to drive too far, when there’s plenty of delicious options on the North Shore. If you’re looking for inspiration about where to celebrate, NSM restaurant reviewer Foodie Mookie shares her Top 10 special Mother’s Day dining options.
1. The Bathers’ Pavilion, Balmoral Beach
Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch and Dinner options
This is a glorious spot overlooking Balmoral Beach and is stunning even on a rainy day. The beautiful interior is lovingly designed with cool, elegant, just home in the Hamptons feel which is perfect for a relaxing breakfast, lunch or dinner. Thankfully the folks at The Bathers’ Pavilion have three options for Mother’s Day to cater for different budgets – The Café, upstairs in the function room and terrace or in the restaurant. View the menu.
- Breakfast: 7am until 11.45am
- Lunch: 12.00 noon
- Book: No reservations taken
Function Room & Terrace – Mother’s Day Buffet Brunch
- Brunch: 10.30am, finishes 12.30pm
- Cost: $85 per person | $55 children 10 years and under (minimum of 4 guests per table)
Restaurant – Lunch
- Lunch: 2 lunch sittings – 11.30 am to 2pm or 2.30pm to 5pm
- Cost: $155 for 3 course lunch menu plus a gift for all the mums on the table | $80 for children 10 years and under, includes 2 courses and a drink
Restaurant – Dinner
- Dinner: From 6.30pm onwards
- Cost: A la Carte options
Book online or call (02) 9969 5050
2. Terrazza Italian Restaurant, Chatswood
Lunch and Dinner alfresco dining
Feel like delicious pasta and wood fire pizza? Or perhaps you have a hankering for a Nutella pizza topped with fresh strawberries and crushed nuts? Either way, if you love casual, kid-friendly al fresco dining, Terrazza is a fantastic spot to enjoy delicious, fresh Italian food that is generous, great value and also allows BYO. Their Mother’s Day bookings are filling up fast, so booking is essential. View the menu
- Cost: Entrees $16-$20 / Mains $25-$35
- Time: Lunch 11am – 3pm and Dinner 5pm – late
- Where: Shop 3, The Concourse, 405-419 Victoria Avenue, Chatswood
Book online or call (02) 9419 5304
3. Ormeggio, The Spit, Mosman
4-course Mother’s Day Lunch (in support of Heart Research Australia)
Ormeggio is a unique spot immersed in the sparkling waterfront at the Spit. The menu is an Italian-inspired delight accompanied by an excellent wine list, perfect for a memorable lunch experience. Chef Alessandro Pavoni has designed a special 4 course lunch from $105 per person (kids menu also available). The linen is crisp, the tables are immaculate, the food is award-winning and the staff are warm and friendly. Bellisimo!
- Cost: $105 per person
- Time: Book from 12noon (also open from 6pm for dinner with a la carte or degustation menu)
- Where: D’Albora Marinas The Spit, Mosman
- Tip: Request the children’s meal option at the time of booking.
Book online or call (02) 9969 4088
4. Annata, Crows Nest
Lunch Special – $75 per person with sparkling wine on arrival!
This new arrival to Crows Nest is a sleek, boutique yet sophisticated option for Mother’s Day with the Head Chef Jimmy, preparing a special share-plate menu just for lunch. Annata’s playful, modern menu is a treat through the week, so this special menu should be fantastic. Besides, their cocktails are sensational (not included in the Mother’s Day special but make sure your kids shout you one … just because).
Mother’s Day Menu – Shared Plates:
A glass of Pike and Joyce sparkling wine on arrival for mum. Plus
- Zucchini salad, charred broccolini, goats milk custard
- Savoury Walnut cake, beets and fennel
- Butter poached flathead, tomato terrine, basil
- Gnocchi, chorizo, pecorino
- Roast chicken, King Browns, roast parsnips, jus (served with a side of green beans, almonds, vanilla )
- White chocolate, yoghurt, persimmon, black sesame
- Petit Fours
- Cost: $75 per person
- Time: Book from 12noon
- Where: 69 Willoughby Road, Crows Nest
- Tip: Request the children’s meal option at the time of booking.
Book online or call (02) 9437 3700
5. Rawsons at The Epping Club, Epping
Buffet Breakfast, 3-course Set Menu Lunch
Rawsons at The Epping Club plays host to internationally renowned Chef Nick Whitehouse. His reputation precedes him with a history of working on Michelin-starred restaurants around the world. Recently opened, Rawsons is gaining a reputation for exception food at great price. You can dine at the buffet for breakfast or book the special 3 course set menu for lunch. It’s a terrific option especially for large groups with children. View the menu.
Here is a sample of the delicious lunch menu:
- Butter poached prawns, avocado & scattered herbs
- Whipped goats curd ricotta / scorched tomatoes / basil / aged balsamic (v,gf)
- Kurobuta prosciutto / compressed melon / watercress / radish
- Beef tenderloin / roasted onion / mushrooms / proper red wine sauce
- Tasmanian salmon fillet / kale / leek /mushroom
- Free range chicken ballotine / carrots / tarragon jus gras
- Risotto / kale / mushroom / taleggio / puffed grains (v)
Rawsons for Breakfast
- Breakfast: 8:30am – 11:30am
- Cost: $29.90 (member) | $35 (non-member) | $15.90 (child)
Rawsons for Lunch
- Lunch: 12noon – 2.45pm
- Cost: $59.90 (member) | $65 (non-member) | $15.90 (child)
Book Online or call (02) 9876 4357 (select 9)
6. Pilu, Freshwater
Pilu is perched above Freshwater Beach in a Hampton’s Style venue surrounded by gardens for alfresco, verandah or indoor dining. Their Sardinian menu can be served as degustation/ share-style or a la carte. With menu options including ‘oven roasted suckling pig’, ‘Kingfish, puffed fregola, onion and squid ink’ and a ‘pre-dessert’ offering (seriously, any menu that offers an extra ‘pre-dessert’ is good in my books), Pilu is a special option for Mother’s Day and well worth the trek if you are not in the Freshwater area. View the menu.
- Cost: $95 per person (3 courses)
- Time: From 12noon
- Where: On the beach, Moore Road, Freshwater
- Tip: Dine on the verandah upstairs for the best view of the ocean.
Book online or call (02) 9938 3331
7. Ripples, Milsons Point
Breakfast ($55), Lunch ($95) and Dinner (a la carte)
Sometimes Mother’s Day calls for a glass of wine with a harbour view and Ripples Milsons Point is a perfect spot. Right on the boardwalk next to North Sydney Olympic Pool, Ripples Milsons Point is a relaxed alfresco restaurant with expansive views of Sydney harbour and the Harbour Bridge. If Mother’s Day is sunny, it is a gorgeous sunlit dining room with open air seating (under shade), if it’s raining, they convert to covered shelter, so you don’t have to worry. Ripples have set prices for Breakfast and Lunch and offer a la carte for dinner. The food is excellent and Italian-inspired (see menus below and our Facebook image). They are also terrific for vegetarians, dietary requirements and also offer kids meals. Make sure you let them know if you need any of those at the time of booking. View the menu.
Ripples Milsons Point for Breakfast
- Breakfast: 7:30am – 10:30am
- Cost: $55 per person (fruit & pastries, hot breakfast and a glass of sparkling)
Ripples Milsons Point for Lunch
- Lunch: from 12pm
- Cost: $95 per person (three course set menu with choices)
Ripples Milsons Point for Dinner
- Dinner: from 6pm
- Cost: Entrees $20-24 | Mains $26-$38
Book Online or call (02) 9929 7722
8. SaltPepperNutmeg, Roseville
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
SaltPepperNutmeg is a gorgeous little café on the Pacific Highway in Roseville (next to the cinemas). Don’t let the size fool you, there is culinary goodness going on inside. It’s a European family-style menu with hand cured meats, fresh fish, 8 hour lamb and a gluten-free and vegetarian options. It’s family friendly with a warm and inviting, family atmosphere. View the menu.
- Cost: Breakfast – $7-$18 per dish | Lunch – Entrees $15-$25 | Mains $27-$29
- Time: 8.30am to 9pm
- Where: 110 Pacific Highway, Roseville
- Tip: Grab a movie next door at the Roseville Cinema after breakfast or lunch.
Book online or call (02) 9880 9994
9. Boronia Team Room High Tea – Mosman
Morning Tea, Brunch or Lunch
Why not spend a couple of hours acting posh with your mum and delight in someone else cutting the crusts of your sandwiches and tea with enticing names like Russian Caravan. Madagascan Vanilla and Gen Mai Cha Sencha. There are several beautiful places including Boronia Tea House, Burnt Orange, Gunner’s Barracks. Check out our Six spots for a decadent high tea on the North Shore which are in Mosman, Wahroonga, Hornsby and Woolwich.
Here’s an example of the Boronia Tea Room menu (which sweetly includes a ‘Little Ladies High Tea’ for 3-12 year olds. I wonder what the ‘Little Lads’ option would be? Mini meat pies and sausage rolls?
Standard High Tea ($47 per person)
- A selection of light breads
- sophisticated savoury bites
- Housemade scones with double cream and market jam
- Delightful desserts and cakes
- Served with a choice of a T2 tea or coffee
Tip: Make it a ‘Champagne High Tea’ for mum ($69 per person for a glass of Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial) so she can indulge in a glass of champers too.
Little Ladies Menu ($29 per lady)
- ham and cheese and vegemite finger sandwich
- scone with cream and jam
- shaped fairy bread
- homemade M&M cookie
- mini fruit salad
- chocolate cupcake with pink icing
- A choice of T2 tea, coffee, hot chocolate, iced chocolate, fruit juice, pink lemonade or soft drink
- Time: 10am-3.30pm
- Menu: Menu
- Where: 624 Military Rd, Mosman
Book online or call (02) 9188 5021
10. Yum Cha (various locations)
I really love Yum Cha on the best of days. It’s kid friendly, reasonably priced, the food is quick and you can cover most food tastes with seafood, chicken, beef, pork, vegetarian. Oh and the desserts! The warm custard tarts are delicious. There are so many great places for Yum Cha on the North Shore that it’s hard to list them all here. So here are some of my top spots for a Mother’s Day Yum Cha feast!
- Taxim Restaurant, Westfield Hornsby
- Emperor’s Table, North Ryde RSL
- Greenwood Chinese, North Sydney
- Kam Fook, Westfield Chatswood
- Fook Yuen – Chatswood
- Sea Treasure, Crows Nest – Call (02) 9906 6388
- Open Kitchen He Tai Yum Cha, Macquarie Centre, North Ryde
There’s so many great spots on the North Shore. Reply below if you want to suggest other dining gems for Mother’s Day (or any day)! Even if it’s in a great restaurant, park, at a friend’s place or at home, Foodie Mookie and North Shore Mums hope you and your family have a wonderful Mother’s Day.
More on food…