School is in session, and if the daily grind is leaving you exhausted and uninspired, use the weekend to whip up this banana bread which is a shorcut to easy healthy eating from Karina Savage.
It can be tough to find the energy or ingredients to make or cook some of the healthy snack recipes that are out there for our kids. But if you’re keen on an easy and wholesome snack you can keep on hand for lunchboxes, after-school snacks or even a last-minute breakfast for laterunning mornings, this Smartbite Banana Bread is low GI for long-lasting energy and it also gives them plenty of other nutrition as well to supercharge their insides.
Let’s start with the ingredients and what they provide nutritionally.
- The eggs provide valuable iron, omegas, choline, lutein and folate
- The wholemeal flour provides valuable fibre (prebiotics) and B group vitamins and minerals including iron, zinc and magnesium.
- The milk, cinnamon and coconut bring other nutrients, such as calcium
- 2 cups wholemeal Self Raising Flour
- 3 free range eggs
- 4 mashed ripe bananas
- 100g melted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and ine a cake tin with baking paper
- Beat eggs with electric mixer on high for one minute, or by hand until they are frothy and light
- Add all other ingredients and mix well with a spoon
- Bake for 60 mins or until cake is ready (when knife inserted into centre comes out clean)
You can find more lunchbox ideas for kids here.