If you have furry friends, you’re always looking for a dog-friendly destination or simply an off-leash area where they can roam free and enjoy everything nature has to offer. Katey Chesterton found the perfect place at South Turramurra Dog Oval.
For me, as a devoted mum of many dogs over the years and a dogsitter as well, the dog oval at Kissing Point Village Green has become our furry family’s got-to spot to spend an afternoon. A dog park is an excellent way to exercise and socialise your pooch, which can help reduce
Going anywhere with excited dogs is an adventure in itself, but South Turramurra makes it easy to wrangle the pups as there’s a big carpark with ample parking close to the entrance (less risky the more excitable dogs will do a runner!).
The park itself is fully fenced, so once inside you can relax (at least a little) knowing that your furry friend is safely contained. Not only that, but you’re sure to immediately meet some very friendly furry and cute friends that have come to visit the dog park at the same time as you! Because it’s a pup-designed park, there’s always fresh water available to make sure your animal is hydrated and comfortable while outside (especially important in the summer heat!).
For non-furry babies, there is a play area for children to entertain themselves (if they’ve had enough of walking the dog or throwing the ball for fetch!). There’s a slippery dip, a wooden horse on a spring, plus an oversized wooden bridge for fun and games.
As for the grown-ups, kick back on the benches while watching the kids at play, or if you’re planning on spending a longer afternoon, BYO some supplies for the BBQ area and set yourself up in the gazebo. There’s on site bathrooms, but no kiosk- for your caffeine hit visit the bakery close by, called the Golden Bakehouse, perfect for grabbing a coffee or even a bite to eat on your way to the dog park.
So if you have a friendly dog that’s socialised with other dogs, children who love dogs, or you just want to enjoy a bushland setting, I definitely recommend this park as the perfect place for a family day out.
Rules in off-leash dog parks
- Dogs must be under the effective control of a competent person at all times
- Clean up after your dog and dispose of dog litter in bins provided. Failure to remove dog poo immediately is a $275 fine.
- Dogs are not permitted off-leash on ovals during organised sports and games, and are not permitted off-leash in the surrounding parks/reserves at any time
- Dogs must be put on-leash when leaving the off-leash area
- Keep dogs 10 metres away from playgrounds and food areas
- Dogs are only allowed in some bushland reserves if they are on-leash and under their handler’s control. Dogs are not allowed in wildlife protection areas
- No dogs are allowed at Fiddens Wharf Sportsground
- Failure to comply with notices displayed at Council ovals, parks and reserves is an offence under Section 632 of the Local Government Act 1993
- Penalties apply under the Companion Animals Act 1998
The Essential Details:
- What: South Turramurra Dog Park
- Address: Kissing Point Village Green Crn Vernon Street & Kissing Point Road
- Contact: Ku-Ring-Gai Council Website
- Nearest coffee stop: Golden Bakehouse, 219C Kissing Point Rd, South Turramurra (2 mins away)
- Facilities: On-site bathroom, fully fenced playground, children’s play equipment, off-leash area for dogs, fresh tap water available. You must obey park rules and don’t forget to scoop the poop!
Want more Places to Go, Eating Out, Events, Parks & Playgrounds? Browse our dedicated section in Out & About.