It’s on again! Hornsby Shire’s Festival of the Arts has kicked off with a range of exhibitions, performances and activities to suit everyone. From now until until 18 November, you can nurture your inner artist by checking out incredible exhibitions and workshops. Here’s our recommendations of the best things to see and do at The Festival of the Arts this year!
Now in its ninth year, Hornsby Shire’s annual dose of culture is back again to entertain, entrance and delight families! The Festival of the Arts isn’t your average event, but instead it’s a month-long celebration of painting, drawing, live entertainment and the magic of artwork.
“The benefits of the festival are obvious, giving the community a chance to come together and support the local arts community,” Hornsby Shire Mayor Philip Ruddock says. “More than that, however, is the simple fact that it’s a lot of fun.
“This year’s Festival of the Arts has something for everyone, with visual, literary and performing arts all on display.”
Festival of the Arts Launch Event
Don’t miss the opening event at Hornsby Mall, where art and dining combine to create a feast for all the senses. Your eyes, ears and taste buds will be delighted by roving entertainment, live art, artisan market stalls, a vintage photo booth, pop-up performances and drop-in workshops at Hornsby Mall.
- What: Festival of the Arts Launch
- Where: Hornsby Mall, Florence St, Hornsby
- When: Saturday 21 October, 11am – 3pm
- Cost: Free
Hugh Van Schaick Exhibition
Winner of the Hornsby Art Prize 2016 Emerging Artist and People’s Choice Award, Hugh Van Schaick, will be holding an exhibition at Wallarobba Arts and Cultural Centre. The exhibition picks up where Hugh left of with his winning portrait of artist Ben Quilty, with a gallery of work focusing on the subject’s gaze. Hugh’s work is an intense and honest observation of his self, people in his life and how they have helped shape his world.
A free opening night will be held on Friday 20 October, 6pm-8pm at Wallarobba Arts and Cultural Centre.
- What: Hugh Van Schaick exhibition (Winner of the Hornsby Art Prize 2016 Emerging Artist and People’s Choice Award)
- Where: Wallarobba Arts and Cultural Centre
- When: Tuesday 17 – Sunday 22 October, 10am – 4pm daily
- Cost: Free
More Festival of the Arts Highlights:
- Engaging writings from the Hawkesbury River Writers, accompanied by jazz music
- Interactive workshops with Studio ARTES, teaching different styles of art
- An exhibition titled inTransit by the Untethered Fibre Artists, who are back for the third year in a row
- Back by popular demand, Quirky Circus will promise an evening of excitement, adventure, magic and a dash of danger
The 2017 Festival of the Arts is a smorgasbord of the best visual and performing arts and is proudly presented by Hornsby Shire Council and local partners with the support of St.George Bank. Featuring live performances, creative workshops, talks, markets, circus, art trails, exhibitions and of course the annual Hornsby Art Prize – this is a festival not to be missed. For more information, including a full festival program, visit www.fota.com.au