Looking to plan some fun days out with the kids these winter school holidays? There’s plenty of live shows, events and attractions to visit around Sydney’s North Shore! Here’s your round up of the best things to do these school holidays to enjoy some quality time with your kids, while keeping them nice and busy. Get planning!
So have a scroll down the list of Winter school holiday activities on Sydney’s North Shore below, and click the Quicklink to go directly to the listing with all the event details! If you’re looking for things to do in school holidays in Sydney, you’ll find plenty of inspiration below:
- Australian Reptile Park – Deadly & Dangerous School Holidays (Somersby)
- Featherdale Sydney Wildlife Park – Doonside
- Captain Cook Cruises – Wildlife adventure
- Disney on Ice – Qudos Bank Arena
- House Down Under – Entertainment Quarter, Moore Park
- Jeral Puppets (Castle Cove)
- Sesame Street Circus Spectacular (St Ives)
- Sydney Opera House – The Twits, Creation Creation & Tempo
- The Newport – workshops & events
Visit some native animals
Australian Reptile Park: Deadly & Dangerous!
See some of the world’s most Deadly & Dangerous creatures these school holidays at the Australian Reptile Park! The Central Coast wildlife park will feature their popular Deadly & Dangerous show where the keepers risk their lives daily, handling some of the world’s most dangerous creatures in order to educate guests. Between venomous snake milkings and witnessing the ferocious power of Elvis – Australia’s crankiest crocodile, visitors will have no shortage of excitement these school holidays!
When: Saturday 2 July – Sunday 17 July
- Address: Australian Reptile Park, Somersby, Central Coast (30 minutes drive from Wahroonga)
- Suited for: 3+
- Cost: Family (2 Adults, 2 Children) – $125 | Adult – $46 | Child (3-15) – $29 – includes entry to the park & access to school holiday activities.
- Book: Online, (02) 4340 1022, email@example.com
- Website: reptilepark.com.au
Featherdale Sydney Wildlife Park
Featherdale provides a home to over 2,000 Australian native animals from more than 260 different species and is home to the world’s largest collection of Australian wildlife. Focusing solely on native animals, at Featherdale you will find the largest collection of koalas in New South Wales, three open space enclosures filled with kangaroos and wallabies, as well as encounters with many other iconic Australian animals, such as dingos, echidnas, wombats, bilbies, Tasmanian devils, reptiles and a stunning collection of birds from Australia and around the world.
Something very special happens when you get the chance to have a personal encounter with an animal. When an animal chooses to engage with you, it brings a true and unspoken connection that touches the heart. At Featherdale, they’re proud to offer a range of unique and memorable encounter opportunities for you to meet and get closer to some of Australia’s most unique and amazing wildlife.
- Address: 217-229 Kildare Road, Doonside, Sydney
- Opening hours: 9am-4pm every day, onsite parking and cafe
- Tickets: Adults (ages 16+) $35 | Child (3-15 years) $22 | Family Pass (2A + up to 4C) $105
Explore Sydney by boat!
Wildlife adventures with Captain Cook Cruises
North Shore Mums offer: 25% off Whale Watching with code 2QCTQ6C. Dine, Discover & Parent vouchers accepted.
Whales ahoy! The Humpback Whale migration is in full swing and the July school holidays is the best time to see all the action. Jump onboard Captain Cook Cruises Whale Watching cruise where the whales are guaranteed or you cruise again for free. Start your 2½ hour cruise from Darling Harbour with an expert commentator providing fun and educational insights into whale behaviour. Whales are not all you may see – seals, fairy penguins, marine birds and dolphins are all regular visitors. The cruises are family friendly with indoor and outdoor leisure decks.
For a full day adventure combine your Whale Watching cruise with entry to Taronga Zoo. The combo package includes morning Whale Watching Cruises disembarking at Taronga Zoo, Sky Safari cable car, Zoo entry and return rocket ferry to Circular Quay.
- When: Sat-Sun and Wed-Sun during NSW school holidays
- Time: 10am and 1.15pm
- Suited for: Anyone over 4 years
- Cost: Adults $85 | Child 4-15yrs $59 (Cruise Only), Adults $115 | Child 4-15yrs $85 Whale Watching & Taronga Zoo Combo
- Discount: Save 25% with code 2QCTQ6C, sale to 31 Jul 22, travel to 30 Oct 22
- Book: Online. To redeem a NSW Dine, Discover or Parent Voucher call (02) 9206 1111
- Website: captaincook.com.au
Book tickets to a live Kids Show
Sydney Opera House – The Twits, Creation Creation & Tempo
It’s time to book a show at Sydney Opera House and make some memories with the whole family. Located at Circular Quay, you can make a day of it by walking around the harbour, stopping for a hot chocolate, enjoying a relaxing waterside lunch, watching the ferries and enjoying some fresh air. Join Sydney Opera House for three amazing shows these winter holidays:
- Creation Creation: a playful new theatre performance exploring life’s biggest mysteries.
- Tempo: witness the incredible talents of these young performers in this all-clowning musical variety show Tempo from Flying Fruit Fly Circus.
- The Twits: Roald Dahl’s gruesome twosome – The Twits arrive on stage to delight and disgust, in equal measure.
- When: 1-17 July
- Where: Sydney Opera House
- Suited for: 5+ years
- Cost: Tickets from $29+ | $8.50 booking fee (per transaction)
- Book: The Twits | Tempo | Creation Creation
- Website: sydneyoperahouse.com
Sesame Street Circus Spectacular (St Ives)
Sesame Street Circus Spectacular under the heated big top at St Ives showground July 1- 17 is set to be the hottest family show in town these school holidays.
Not just for little kids, this is an event for all ages – for anyone who loves a world-class circus with some of the best aerialists, motorbike daredevils, acrobats and more, plus, of course, Elmo and his Sesame Street friends.
Incredible performers from across the globe will amaze and amuse guests with their mind-blowing performances and fun antics at this fabulous event for everyone.
- When: 1-17 July
- Where: St Ives Showground
- Suited for: 3-99
- Cost: Tickets from $25+
- Book: Online
- Website: sesamestreetcircus.com.au
Puppeteria Theatre presents Jeral Puppets (Castle Cove)
Take the kids to a puppet show these school holidays! Join the Jeral Puppets for a program filled with familiar stories, songs, and rhymes to engage and entertain preschool and primary-aged children! With easy parking, air-conditioning and a playground next door, a trip to the puppet show is a fun, easy and comfortable activity for kids and their parents, grandparents and carers.
- When: Jeral Puppets present a range of shows at 10.30am:
- The Magic Toyroom + Adventures of Dudu Duck (2-5 years): 3, 5, 7, 13, 15 & 23 June
- The Gingerbread Man (2-5 years): 26 June
- Goldilocks & Three Bears (2-5 years): 29 June, 1, 3, 7, 11, 15 & 17 July
- The Unicorn and the Rainbow + Old MacDonald’s Farm (2-5 years): 5, 8, 10, 13 & 18 July
- Peter Pan + Murgatrroids Adventures in Space (4-9 years): 4, 6, 12 & 14 July
- Pinocchio + Puss-in-Boots (3-9 years): 26 June
- Where: 12H Denawen Ave, Castle Cove
- Suited for: 2-5 years and 4-9 years
- Cost: Adults: $15 | Children: $13. Book online.
- Website: puppeteria.com
Disney On Ice
Discover why no dream is too big at Disney On Ice presents Into the Magic! Seek adventure in the great wide somewhere with Belle as she explores the Beast’s enchanted castle, experience Moana’s courage to embark on a voyage with demigod Maui to save her island, and sing-along with Miguel from Coco as he follows the music in his heart. Be inspired by Anna’s devotion to her sister Elsa on her journey to the North Mountain to stop the eternal winter, and watch Rapunzel and Flynn go to great lengths to make her dream come true. Celebrate the magic of courage, love and adventure at Disney On Ice!
- When: Wed 13 July – Sun 17 July. Morning, matinee & evening shows.
- Where: Qudos Bank Arena
- Suited for: All ages
- Cost: Tickets from $29.50+ booking fee
- Book: ticketek.com.au
Fun for all ages
House Down Under
Whether it’s walking on walls, dancing on the ceiling, doing handstands on furniture or diving headfirst into the toilet, House Down Under will literally make you feel like your world has been turned upside down.
Built to give the impression the house has fallen from the sky, House Down Under, is Australia’s first inverted house experience, the new craze taking the world by storm.
Let your imagination run wild as you create amusing and unique photos, while having some serious topsy turvy fun!
- Wednesdays 12pm – 6pm
- Thursdays & Fridays 12pm – 7pm
- Saturdays & Sundays 10am – 7pm
- Mon & Tue Closed
- Where: Entertainment Quarter, Moore Park (Upper Brent Street)
- Suited for: All ages
- Cost: Adults: $27 Concession: $23 | Children (4-15yrs): $19 | Family passes range ($52-$74) . *Dine & Discover NSW Vouchers are accepted and can be redeemed at the ticket office.
- Website: housedownunder.com.au
Enjoy lunch while the kids are entertained
If you’re after free school holiday activities the kids will love, then here’s the top places to go these school holidays! These free school holiday ideas are the perfect way to keep the kids entertained without breaking the bank.
School Holidays at The Newport
Looking for one of the best days out these school holidays? Enjoy lunch at The Newport while the kids are entertained by fun activities! The Newport’s waterfront location and stunning Pittwater views, have made it a northern beaches go-to for decades. With an alfresco marketplace feel, you can choose your own adventure within their variety of food outlets and experiential areas; each with their own style and personality.
There’s lots to offer for the kids over the school holidays, so you can relax while they have fun!
- When: Wednesday 6 – Sunday 17 July
- Wednesday 6 July – Cotton bag craft, 12:30-2:30pm
- Thursday 7 July – Lego Workshop,12:30-2:30pm
- Friday 8 July – Slime Making Workshop, 12:30-2:30pm
- Wednesday 13 July – Pirate Hat and Princess Tiara Decorating, 12:30-2:30pm
- Thursday 14 July – Magic Show, 12:30-2:30pm
- Friday 15 July – Silent Disco, 12:30-2pm
- Sunday 17 July – Reptile Man, 12:30-2:30pm
- Where: The Newport, 2 Kalinya St, Newport
- Suited for: All ages
- Cost: Free. No booking required, first in best dressed. We will do our best to run enough sessions to accommodate everyone that joins us.
- Website: merivale.com