Fancy something delicious and healthy for breakfast this weekend? How about these Banana & Berry Pancakes, just one of the 100+ nutritious recipes from the 28 by Sam Wood book, available nationally from April 18.
Serves 1 | Preparation time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 10 minutes
‘Berries are my favourite fruit: they are low in sugar and rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and several B vitamins. We also love bananas because they are one of the best natural sources of carbohydrates. Just be mindful that they are a higher-sugar fruit and stick to half a banana.’ – Sam Wood.
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1⁄2 large banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt
- 60 g (2 oz/1⁄2 cup) fresh raspberries
- Add the eggs, baking powder, cinnamon and coconut flour to a mixing bowl and whisk to form a light batter. Add the banana and mix together to combine, adding a splash of water if the batter is too thick.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat, then add a quarter of the pancake batter and tilt the pan to cover the base evenly. Cook for 2–3 minutes until small bubbles appear on the top of the pancake, then gently flip over and cook for a further 2–3 minutes. Remove from the pan and keep warm, then repeat with the remaining pancake mixture.
- To serve, pile the pancakes onto a plate as a rough stack, dollop over the yoghurt and scatter over the raspberries to finish.
This is an edited extract from 28 by Sam Wood published by Hardie Grant Books RRP $39.99 and is available in stores nationally from April 18.
Food Photography: © Chris Middleton
Lifestyle Photography: © Rich MacDonald