Valentine’s Day does not have to be just another day. Even if expensive gifts and extravagant nights out are not your thing, or you don’t want to buy into the whole commercialism of the Day, you can still show your special half just how much you love them in your own special way.
We’ve come up with a list of 16 ways to enjoy Valentine’s Day. Whether you need a little romantic inspiration, you are on a budget, can’t find a babysitter or have kids that won’t sleep and leave you time poor, there is sure to be something on this list for you.
Why not make Valentine’s day unforgettable?!
1. Wow with words Got any old romantic emails or love letters lying around? Print them out and have them bound in a book or stick them in to a scrapbook. Alternatively, handwrite your wedding vows or the lyrics to a song you had at your wedding and gift them.
2. Pamper with a picnic A picnic on the lounge room floor can be more special than sitting at the dinner table like you do every night. Set the scene with candles, cushions, and buy or make some of your favourite dishes. Include a bottle of your favourite wine, or better still, the same brand of wine you had at your wedding.
3. Set up some movie magic While it would be great to go to Gold Class, enjoy the comfort of your own lounge and watch a movie with the lights down low. Maybe you remember the first movie you saw together, or you know his favourite. Make some popcorn, get some Maltesers and sit back, snuggle and enjoy.
4. Step back in time Print out some photos and make a scrapbook of your relationship so far or just the highlights of the past year. A thoughtful yet priceless gift.
5. Go all gourmet Cook dinner together: devise a unique Valentine’s Day menu that you’ll make together every year. Start the tradition now and never worry about last-minute plans in the future.
6. Take a dip Fill a bath for two. Masses of bubblebath is a must, as is the Champagne! Staring into each other’s eyes over bubbles with bubbles will surely reignite the passion.
7. Dial a massage If you have the finances, book a mobile massage therapist to come to your house in the evening once the kids are in bed. Alternatively, massage each other. Use oils that you may already have such as olive, coconut or macadamia. Youtube has “how-to” videos for Swedish Massage which can give you an idea of what you should be doing.
8. Cheers to us! If you can’t be at the bar, bring the bar to you. Make some cocktails or mocktails and drink them while you make some plans together for the year ahead, scheduling in some couple time.
9. Create a playlist Compile songs on the iPod or make a cd collection of your loved one’s favourite songs to play in the background throughout lunch or in the evening while you are cooking or eating take-away.
10. Challenge each other Turning off the television and bringing out the board games gives you a opportunity to reconnect (providing you play nicely!). Whether it be Scrabble, Monopoly or cards, the winner gets a foot rub.
11. Make your own coupon book. Your partner can choose when they wish to cash in on a massage, breakfast in bed, a sleep in, control of the remote. Offer expires on 14 February 2016.
12. Get all bendy Do some yoga together. www.doyogawithme.com is a website with online videos that offer 100 per cent free, high-definition, streaming yoga videos from beginner to advanced.
13. Make your own valentines card Channel your inner Glitter Queen. Pinterest is your friend, too. A homemade card shows an effort has been made.
14. Take note Write reasons why you love your partner on Post-it notes and place them all around the house.
15. Get nostalgic Spend some time looking through photos and even creating an online photo book together. There is nothing like looking through old photos to evoke strong emotions and remind you of all the good times you have shared.
16. Have an early night. Take the time to tidy your room, pick some flowers from the garden, light some candles and just enjoy each other’s company with no distractions (at least not until the kids wake up).
If you have any other sure-fire ways to rekindle romance, get the home fires burning and ramp up the love, we’d want to hear them in the comments section below.